Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Can't get X6 to start

Bill H

Been using X6 for months without problems. Today it won't start. It tries, but after a few seconds the 'Crash Reporter' opens and that's it. Tried updating the HASP. Tried re-booting. Tried repairing the program. Tried uninstalling and then re-installing. None of these made any difference. It still won't start and I've got a big project due on Monday. HELP!

Chris - No, this didn't do it.

Mick - I have not installed anything new. In Windows Restore, no matter what date I pick I get a message that the rollback cannot be completed.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

To be honest, I've installed a lot of Mastercam installatiions, and supported them, and I've never encountered an installation that ends up just stopping from working. First time for everything though :(

Is Windows Automatic update switched on?

rename the mcamx.config to mcamx.config,old

and restart again

If it's not that, you may need to uninstall the Microsoft.net Framework and re install it

I have seen .net Framework go corrupt and cause this symptom

There is a .net clean up tool available here

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

The .NET Framework cleanup tool supports removing the following products:

.NET Framework - All Versions

.NET Framework - All Versions (Tablet PC and Media Center)

.NET Framework - All Versions (Windows Server 2003)

.NET Framework - All Versions (Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008)

.NET Framework - All Versions (Windows 7)

.NET Framework 1.0

.NET Framework 1.1

.NET Framework 2.0

.NET Framework 3.0

.NET Framework 3.5

.NET Framework 4

Not all of the above products will appear in the UI for the .NET Framework cleanup tool on every operating system. The cleanup tool contains logic so that if it is run on an OS version that includes the .NET Framework as an OS component, it will not offer the option to clean it up. This means that running the cleanup tool on Windows XP Media Center Edition or Tablet PC Edition will not offer the option to clean up the .NET Framework 1.0, running it on Windows Server 2003 will not offer the option to clean up the .NET Framework 1.1 and running it on Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 will not offer the option to clean up the .NET Framework 2.0 or the .NET Framework 3.0.

When choosing to remove any of the above versions of the .NET Framework, the cleanup tool will also remove any associated hotfixes and service packs. You do not need to run any separate steps to remove the service pack(s) for a version of the .NET Framework.

What size does your Mastercam.mtb file show as?

Normal should be about 107k

Here's a default one, you might try unzipping it and replacing yours, maybe corrupt

If that's not it, I think you may be at the .net rip out and re install.

If you really want to you "could" try deleting the registry key for Mastercam

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CNC Software, Inc.\Mastercam X6

I had a similar issue with SolidWorks. A service pack failed

to install and left SW inoperable.

Uninstall /reinstall failed as well.

The solution was a total uninstall of all. NET Framework

products and complete reinstall of all SW prerequisites.

• 1 year later...

I had a PC lock up on one of guys Friday morning and after searching out this thread went to control panel\programs and used the .NET repair tools and boom we are back up and running.

Many thanks to the forum again ( & especially to JP in this instance). I don't always have the time ( or take the time) to post a lot on here, but its the first place I go when I have a problem I get stumped on. I am certain I have searched for and found answers to hundreds of questions on here, many not specifically mastercam related but just seeking ideas and different approaches to machining. From a technical point of view the information sharing that happens here is the internet at its best.

I had a PC lock up on one of guys Friday morning and after searching out this thread went to control panel\programs and used the .NET repair tools and boom we are back up and running.

Many thanks to the forum again ( & especially to JP in this instance). I don't always have the time ( or take the time) to post a lot on here, but its the first place I go when I have a problem I get stumped on. I am certain I have searched for and found answers to hundreds of questions on here, many not specifically mastercam related but just seeking ideas and different approaches to machining. From a technical point of view the information sharing that happens here is the internet at its best.

Curious Dwain, I have not seen the .net issue rear it's ugly head in sometime, can I ask what version of MCAM it went belly up on?

Bill,

Glad to hear your problem is resolved! :cheers:

I am wondering about the Windows Restore problem and why that wouldn't work.

A while back there was a virus going around that either disabled or limited the use of the Windows restore feature, among other things.

I had it in one of my PC's and had a heck of a time getting rid of it.

Although it may not be related to the problem you just had, it might not be a bad idea to run an in-depth anti-virus / anti-malware scan to see if there may be something lurking in your system files that may be causing problems. ;)

Here's the one I used that finally eradicated that virus:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

It has both a free and pro version.

I started off using the free version then upgraded to the pro and haven't had any problems since. :thumbup:

I've had a lot of trouble with a.net the last couple of years, mostly with Solidworks.

Probably 80% of my Solidworks installs or updates fail now days

The usual solution is a complete uninstall of all a.net installs.

Then SolidWorks installs the prerequisites and installs correctly.

I have no idea what's causing this.

I've had a lot of trouble with a.net the last couple of years, mostly with Solidworks.

Probably 80% of my Solidworks installs or updates fail now days

The usual solution is a complete uninstall of all a.net installs.

Then SolidWorks installs the prerequisites and installs correctly.

I have no idea what's causing this.

Gcode, I am not sure how my IT does it but he does not let solid works update automatically

he sends us a link to an executable that does it all flawlessly on all our p.c's

(all the p.c's have different specs, components and vid cards)

I see if he has to adjust anything

no body has had a crashing is

I'll ask