Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Programming cam profiles for screw machines

5 AX

We currently use an old software and cam cutter to make cams for our Tornos screw machines. Is anybody using mastercam to generate these toolpaths? Seems like there would be some sort of cam C-hook or something.

Why would there be a C-hook for a basic contour operation??

• 2 weeks later...

CAD-CAM guys don't know much about cam controlled machines -- including me. I'm sure that you don't have trouble cutting a 2d profile. I suspect that the problem is getting the cam profile in the first place. I don't know the rules to get motion from a cam, but I might be able to help if you could explain the rules.

Contouring the cam shape is I believe the easy part.

Working out the cam shape/rise in the 1st place is the difficulty exactly as John says.

I have a very old copy of featurecam that (by memory as it is probably very dusty and somewhere in the loft at home) has a cam generator built in.

Jay's cam is a barrel cam, which may be the type used by cam machines. Rolldie does these cams nicely. Just remember to use only the centerline for the geometry, not the walls. Rolldie offsets from the centerline so that the walls will be parallel, to fit the follower. This, of course, doesn't solve the part-to-cam profile problem.

Contouring the cam shape is I believe the easy part.

Working out the cam shape/rise in the 1st place is the difficulty exactly as John says.

I have a very old copy of featurecam that (by memory as it is probably very dusty and somewhere in the loft at home) has a cam generator built in.

I'm trying to search for it.... I think its "eccentric turning". Someone posted stuff like this recently video too. :question: I think he was running an okuma??? or a mazak??? The cam profile was a macro, He posted the code too.... :)