Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thanks for the help.

Surface

Things were pretty slow in the fall of last year. When I was approached by a prop/replica maker to develop a product for him, I jumped at the chance, even though it was a little out of the ordinary.

Although I consider myself a pretty skilled MC user, this project held some unusual problems. Over the months of development, I requested help from this forum on topics ranging from geometry creation, to casting-shrinkage allowances, to engraving on a sphere.

Your help made this little project possible, and I just wanted to say thanks to those who offered their expertise.

The results can be seen here

Voyagers was a T.V. show from the early 80's. In the program, a man and a young boy would travel through time via this hand-held gizmo. The program was enjoyed for its entertainment value and for it historical accuracy (educational). Sadly, while playing with a prop-gun, the star, Eric Hexum, was killed with a small ball of cotton wadding and the program was canceled after 13 episodes.

The casting pattern was machined from solid alum (8% oversize) and lost-wax-investment-cast in brass.

This project has taken over 8 months to see it to this stage, primarily because "work which pays" kept creeping ahead of this replica.

Surface, saw a good forensic science show about the deaths of both Brandon Lee and John-Eric Hexum. Both stranger than fiction.

I'm curious, how does a prop maker justify spending that kind of money for a relic of a show that went off the air in the 80's? I'ts a truley bitchin' looking piece of art/part but are there that many fans of a long gone show ready to fork or are they coming out with a big screen version of voyagers? Why now? Or are the demands purely for it's asthetic value?

A-ron, I don't understand people's facination with anything non-alcoholic, but I recently spent $80 on a bottle of wine, which I plan to turn into a memory. I guess for others, collecting is a hobby.

Even now, I don't understand the demand or why people would want a replica. I took the project because it looked like something fun to do while the economy was in a downturn.

Another maker was selling Voyagers-omni(s) for $1000. I couldn't afford one, but for those who have yet to discover the "demon drink", mine was suposed to be a cheaper alternitive. cheers.gif

WOW! That's some nice work Surface!

It's great to have your work showcased as a true art form. For the millions of esoteric parts that are machined, I am always psyched to see people enjoying machined parts for their intrinsic quality and precision. Sure we all scratch our heads at collecting some of this stuff, but it's a great showcase for your skills. People certainly don't appreciate the same skills used in manufactuing all the other nameless and faceless stuff our machines produce....gears,cams,brackets,molds,widgets,gizmos,etc.etc.

Personally, I collect stuff with two wheels and internal combustion engines that go fast! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

P.S. I've always found doing work for cottage-industry types to be interesting and challenging, but usually "less than fulfilling" financially.....how about you?? confused.gif