Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stock Model creation problems.

danielm

How do I create a Stock Model (from something that has been cut in Verify) that can be used in a later verify session without ever making an STL file??

I've been reading through threads that discuss how to have stock models (throughout your Operations Manager) after an operation but without ever having to create an STL file and I cannot figure it out. I'm running X6 MU1.

Does Verify let you create a Stock Model somehow instead of an STL file? I only see how to create an STL and then have the stock model reference that STL file. According to posts that I've read, there is no need to create any STL file anymore in Verify. Is this correct?

I know how to create the stock model so that it shows up in Operations Manager. Then I go into the parameters for that Stock Model, where the options are to select the Initial Stock Shape....one option is Stock Model and the other is an STL file (which I supposedly dont need to use). The Stock Model option only references existing stock models that are in the Operations Manager.

So...I'm missing something and its driving me crazy.

Hi Dan,

Stock Model can be used in a couple different ways. You can import existing STL files and use these to build the Stock Model or can use the Stock Model function to build a Stock Model without entering Verify at all.

The first thing I usually do is create a Stock Model as my first operation. If you do this, there is no verify involved. All you are doing is setting up the initial stock shape. Usually this is going to be a block or a cylinder. If you had a casting or some odd shaped piece of material, you could also base that initial stock shape on a STL file or a Solid Model. For example, say you had a casting with .250 extra material on all surfaces. You could take a Solid Model as your initial stock shape, and use the "additional offset" to offset the solid by .250.

Stock Model can also be used to generate a "stock shape" in the middle of creating your part. Say you had 10 operations, and on the 11th operation, you wanted to do some "rest roughing". You could take those 10 operations and use them to generate a new Stock Model. This is very similar to running a session in Verify and saving the STL, except there is no need to go into Verify. Start by creating a new Stock Model operation. Choose the initial stock shape (rectangle, STL, or already existing Stock Model), then select the Source Operations. These are the toolpaths that will be used to cut the shape of the new Stock Model.

The last thing that is very useful in Stock Model is the Stock Compare function. You can use this function to analyze how much material is left (or where a gouge is.

just a heads up, Stock model does not compensate correctly for a 2d contour using "control" for your tool diameter offset. if you use computer or wear, it'll work fine.

Ratts!! Thats a bummer because the place that I'm at likes to have the programs with Control in the comp. **I'm working on changing that.

The operators like to get thier hands in the programming waaay too often.

You could still take your operations, run them through Verify (Verify will allow you to compensate for Cutter Comp in Control), and save the STL file. Then use the Stock Model function to create a Stock Model with the STL as the Source. This would let you save the Stock Model inside your MCX file, and also use it for Rest Roughing or Compare.

just a heads up, Stock model does not compensate correctly for a 2d contour using "control" for your tool diameter offset. if you use computer or wear, it'll work fine.

Hi Colin

Do you know if there is a plan to implement this, so Stock Model does use control?

We use control a lot here - like a lot of small shops, as we program and run our own work.

Thanks

You could still take your operations, run them through Verify (Verify will allow you to compensate for Cutter Comp in Control), and save the STL file. Then use the Stock Model function to create a Stock Model with the STL as the Source. This would let you save the Stock Model inside your MCX file, and also use it for Rest Roughing or Compare.

Thanks Colin.