Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What mastercam toolpaths...

sharles

We are a mold shop and customers keep giving us deeper and steeper parts to make, and our CNC supervisor would like for me to be able to drop over a steep wall with a short tool and mill down the wall so far with that tool and then make a second program with a longer tool that would pick up where the first one stopped and continue down the wall. Is there a pair of toolpaths that work together to do that? The Z limit function really isn't a good option because often the steep wall is on a slope and so what would be a good Z limit at one part of the steep area wouldn't even cut the steep wall further along the contour.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. I don't use the surface high speed toolpaths much. Is there something in there that would help? I know I could create surfaces to limit how low the shorter tool would drop over the steep wall, but then how would the second toolpath know where to start without starting back up at the top of the wall?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Scott

That is what I do.

I also do a roughing package with all Bullmills and then a finis package

Lets say.....I send a 4" stick out cutter down 3-3/4" the that is exactly where I start my longer

cutter at(with reduced feeds and speed of course for chatter and deflection)

I also make a surface at that level in case I use a scallop or hybrid using containment boundaries.

(as not to cut too much air on a cavity)

if i have 1 deg (minimum) draft then i use custom make drafted or tapered diesink cutters

There is a Mastercam c-hook called "check holder" which I think is what you are looking for. It is supposed to allow you to machine different regions based on stick-out and toolholder clearance and then the toolpath can be broken up in different tools with the same description, but different stick-out amounts. I've personally never had much success with it, however, maybe you have some more patience and time than myself.

Carmen

Thanks for everyone's replies.

JP, though I use Z-limit of depth a lot, it doesn't work when my part contour is tipped on an angle.

Jeremey,

I'm not very familiar with the 3d highspeed toolpaths (except rest re-rough). I put a picture in the ftp site "all pictures" folder called "scott steep walls". The area on the front right of the picture is about 7" deep, 3 degree draft, and P20 steel. You can see (hopefull) how the top of the wall is NOT flat. So the CNC sup would like me to be able to go about 3-4" down from the top of the wall all around the contour. I know I can make a limiting surface 3-4" down and that would serve fine for the "short tool" program. But how do I tell the long tool to NOT recut everything the short tool program did?

Rickster, can you explain more??

I wonder if my answer is in the high feed suite of toolpaths, but I know so little about them. Is there a good tutorial anywhere to help me understand their abilities?

Thanks Carmen,

I know our powermill guys do a lot with drawing their tool holders. Maybe sometime I will check into that.

Thanks for all the responses so far!!

Is rest roughing the ONLY high speed toolpath that can do that? It's the only high speed toolpath I use (and I use it a lot), but my parts are pretty big and verify seems to crash on me once I start running finish programs on it so it limits my ability to create an .stl file for anything but roughing programs. Is there a work around to the limits of verify or do I have my settings wrong?

Scott

Loosen your stl tolerances up, I run at .003 as a default.

If I get a crash I open it up to .016, I keep opening until I get what I need.

You really should have a good enough handle on your settings that "look" isn't all that big, you're more or less looking for gouges

Yea that probably limits us alot, is that we are still using MCX4, I work with Scott. Supposidly once we slow down they are going to look into some advanced trainning for us and alow us to upgrade to x5 or x6 so that we have more options as to how we do stuff. Every time we have upgraded in the past we go through all the pains of getting our posts back to how we need them as we use severl diffrent ones for the various machines we have.