Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DWG file convert

Surface

I have some engraving which my customer sent to me in a DWG format. Although I have a DWG converter, the text moves and changes properties in the conversion.

The customer does not have the ability to "explode" the text, and has limited "save as" options. We tried DXF but the file had the same problems.

Any sugestions?

Has anyone tried Rhino? That would be my first attempt after the dwg converter didn't do it.

DWG in - IGES out

HTH

edit: If uou want, e-mail it to me and I will try Rhino and e-mail it back.

2nd edit: Rhino doesn't work either. (I hate Autocad!)

Acad in - garbage out

[ 07-30-2003, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: BerTau ]

I ended up having him send me the file as a PDF. I opened it in Illistrator, saved as a EPS and opened that in MC. The letters are a little squigilly, yet probably will work ok in this aplication. I'm always hoping someone will have a majic bullet for these problems.

Yeah, I've found that Illustrator/EPS files work the best for that type of font/text applications..getting a zillion splines though isn't that great! To solve that issue I create a contour path with no z value, cutter comp off, and save that toolpath as geometery on a different level. Then use that as my good driving geometry for the actual cut... tongue.gif

BerTau Quote____________________________________

Acad in - garbage out

I am sorry to hear you rip Autocad. I broke my teeth in on Autocad doing all of my 3d surface machining the long way for years before I was able to show people that the 80 to 90 hours I was spending making programs was not good not good at all. Autocad is not easy for complex 3d parts but like anything once you understand how it works it work great for what it was made to do.

Crazy Millman

I seen a trash barge going down the river is was full of trash to be dumped into the ocean. I seen a guy standing there saying glad to see them go. I just had to ask him why are you dumping 50 2003 porshe's in the ocean. He looked over at me and said I didn't like them so they are trash. cheers.gif _________________________________________________

[ 07-31-2003, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Millman^crazy ]

quote:

The customer does not have the ability to "explode" the text, and has limited "save as" options. We tried DXF but the file had the same problems.

Any sugestions?

If your customer is using AutoCAD 2004 or AutoCAD 2000, they can explode the text using the 'Explode Text' express tool that comes with AutoCAD (seperate install required). If they are using AutoCAD 2000i or AutoCAD 2002, they can purcase this express tool from estore.autodesk.com, or migrate the express tools install from AutoCAD 2000, if they still have it.

If you are going to be doing this kind of thing a lot, the Explode Text tool is the best and most reliable way to do it, as MasterCAM has to re-generate any AutoCAD text objects using whatever fonts it finds on your system. If you don't have the fonts your customer is using, or if they are using .SHX fonts, that will make stuff look different.