Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Subprograms with 5-axis drilling

JSP Mold

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Good question. As is typical for me, I'll answer a question with a question. Does you machine support canned cycles in 5 axis>

James teh curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought him back. biggrin.gif

James,

We dont actually have the 5-axis machine yet. So I cant answer your question about the canned cycles. We are looking at purchasing a Thermwood 5-axis router, if that tells you anything. I know very little about 5-axis machines. Is it common for some 5-axis machines to not handle 5-axis canned cycles?

Well are you looking at the model 67 machine?

I would recommned getting Vitural Service, I would also pay very very close attention to everything that is suppose to come with the machine does. I would also recommned spendign the 2500 dollars on the post put out by Thremwood made by CNC automaction very good post. I tihkn you will find that you dont need the canned cycles to the 5 axis drilling. I would also talk to my dealer of Mastercam in the area and see what they offer for training in the 5 axis programming. I know Thermwood does. I would not bother with the Basic classes if you know Mastercam I would also get some very good notes from the people setting up the machine on keeping the head indicated in. The machine will do soem thing that will really blow your mind when it come to doing 5 axis parts espically molds. I just hope you dont get stuck in a sitution where someone thinking it can do the same work as a Milling Machine it is not called a Thermwood (wood beign the Key Word Here) for nothing. I would also get a good understand about the 101-106 tool calls for 3 axis programs and the 301-306 tool calls for 5 axis programming down ni you do get it. It take a little getting use to that a machine can use 2 different tool nmubers for the same tool in the same program and do 2 different things all together in that program. You will see what I mean when get the whole pivot distance information going and trust me you will want to use the controller and the tooleye. The tooleye is a must have if you plan on doing 5 axis. It is a really cool function to use when you see how well it works.

I would also get the hand of the tangancey factor it is a very cool function of 5 axis. I didn't need it that much on doing 3 axis. I dont know the size of work you are planning on doing but unless it is tall i would only get the 12" in risers if you really needed it. It makes the head stick way out there. We had all types of riser boxes to keep that distance down.

Well I shared what little bit I can remeber.

If you get one let me know i will send you a copy of my book I made for the machine.

Good luck

Crazy Millman

• 2 months later...

Millman^Crazy,

I found out yesterday that we are purchasing the Thermwood Model 67 5-axis router. It should be delivered to our shop in approx 4 weeks.

The machine is going to be drilling holes in our aluminum molds for core vents. There might be a slight possibly of some light 5-axis milling, but that wouldn't happen very often. Im real excited to get into the 5-axis programming world!

Is there any advise that you could provide on setting up the machine or running the machine that would aid us in getting up and running?. Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated by myself and everyone else here in our shop.

Hi

ProDrill for Mastercam supports drilling of solid or surface model forms through feature recognition of the drill forms for - 2, 3, 4 or 5 axis parts. We automatically identify the drill plane for the drill form when we analyze the part.

We will be implementing the sub-probram support (enabling the sub-program switch in the Mastercam parameters page) for ProDrill very shortly.

For drilling, you will be indexing to the new plane/axis and then performing a standard drilling operation. I honestly dont know if you need sub-program support for 5 axis drilling. But if you need it, you will have that support too.

The other issues mentioned here from regarding the correct post processor, etc are important for you to start using your machine as soon as you get it. You will need to work with your reseller for this.

Regards

Anbu

You won't need to use the sub programs for doing the drilling. If you are going to be doing any surface machining you need to be using the metacut filtering. LEARN HOW TO TRAM THE HEAD AND DO IT EVERY SET UP. Sorry for yelling but I have dealt with thermwoods for 7 years and they will go out of alignment easily. They are a router not a milling machine. use the g09 codes always and the g800-806 for smoothness. And do get the post from thermwood it works great and the controller kicks a##! 8_1_1.gif