Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

speed and feed

D&S PRECISION

Hi folks

i have to mill some raising letters on outside diameter of an annealed 4140 ring..the height is 0.03 inch....i have to use smaller end mills as much as 0.01 inch.... i think i am going to use OSG brand... any suggesition would be appreciated.. the machine is turnmill moriseiki highest RPM is 6000.. i have no other option for using another machine because i think the rpm is too low for this kind of job......what are the WOC and DOC recommended?

Thanks in advance

Ouch you need more RPM for .010. Like 10X more.

I would use Harvey tool stub end mills for the steel, at 6,000 RPM you can probably only get away with .003 DOC max and at a painfully low feed rate.

Harvey 14010-C3 (AlTin a must hence the C3)

If it is a one off is there any way to duct tape a dotco pencil grinder to the spindle?

if a 30 deg taper per side is ok, ive had real good success with the fullerton tool co "jo engraver " we have a few machines that have low spindle rpm and its works good

http://fullertontool.com/carbide/tools/JO

heed JAMMANs' advice its gonna suck using those little em's at that rpm,

have you looked at getting a rpm doubler or tripler? i know its not the question at hand but if your gonna do a lot of engraving its def cost effective investment

we had a index abc a few yrs ago with live tooling and it had a tripling unit for one of the live tool attachments and it worked pretty good, it wasnt deadly smooth but it worked fairly well for little endmills

Hi D&S.

I've had a few cases just like that and in every one it was a casting part but it had the option for hog out. The raised text was optioned for machined text every time. I'd contact the engineer thats on the print or if its Boeing go through the engineering liason request process. Raised letters are always a pain and IMO 90% of the time they're unnecessary for machined parts and they add big $$ to the manufacturing process.

HTH

• Like 1