Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

changing rotation of WCS views

Guyinthedesert

I encountered something today that I've never needed to do before. I just finished programming a part,

fairly simple 4 axis part, with 10 different wcs views. Piece of cake.

It turns out, the fixture for the part was made with everything rotated 45 deg. So I just need to rotate all my planes +45 degrees in A. I can post it and manually change them, ie A0 = A45. , A127.2 = A172.2, etc., but I want my source file to be correct. Without having to go in and rotate all my views, then edit the planes for each operation, and then having all my operations go dirty, is there a shortcut to just changing the A origin?

Rotate all your geometry by 45 degrees which will make all the toolpaths dirty, then regenerate.

That's what I would.

Hopefully you have your planes associated to geometry on the part that you're programming.

Then, like Redfire said above, rotate your geo, regen, done.

Unless you have a Gazillion toolpaths on your file this should not be to difficult for MC to handle.

10 different WCS views or t/c planes?

If just 1 WCS, you could just rotate that, just another option.

Jmick's suggestion is probably the easiest, but I want the file to post "Ready to run" so that if I make a change 3 years from now,

I won't have to try and remember what I did today.

Rotating the geometry is out of the question. If I 'm sent a new model next year, when I import it in, it won't be in the right place. Plus, some of

out customers prohibit translating or ratoating models.

So, for this operation, I have a WCS called OP2, then ten different rotations, so ten tool planes/construction planes. I can see no way of modifying the rotation

of OP2. It's easy to change the origin, but not the rotation. under view manager, I can't delete OP2 because it has tool paths associated with it. I clicked on "Create From" and created a copy of OP2, and rotated the view 45 degrees.

Now, I go to the toolpath manager and under edit common parameters I change the WCS for all ops in this machine group to Copy OF OP2. However, when I

do this, all of my T and C planes go to "Undefined/????????????????" In addition, while screwing with this, MC crashed 14 times. WTF?

Since this is a simple part and only has about 50 ops, I went in and changed the WCS on each op individually. Of course, the ops all go dirty, but when I regened, everything was the way I wanted it.

This can't be the easiest way to do it, can it?

If you don't/can't rotate the geo, rotating the WCS is the best way... Maybe someone with more experience here can help you get to the bottom of why all the t/c planes in your operations went "undefined".... I have changed WCS's a couple times for multiple existing operations and don't remember having any issues...

Glad you got it going.

Glad you got it sorted but what a strange requirement....never heard this before and why??? What would be the problem you doing this?

Just being nosey...

This is a common requirement from aerospace companies. I'm not sure what their reasoning is, but I personally never move my models when I import. This way the next iteration of a part will come in in the exact right position. Its not uncommon here for a new prototype to go through 10 or more revisions before getting the go ahead for production, and I find leaving my models in the "as designed" position saves me a lot of headaches.

This is a common requirement from aerospace companies. I'm not sure what their reasoning is, but I personally never move my models when I import. This way the next iteration of a part will come in in the exact right position. Its not uncommon here for a new prototype to go through 10 or more revisions before getting the go ahead for production, and I find leaving my models in the "as designed" position saves me a lot of headaches.

Exactly