Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Default Operations Interaction - X

quote:

I am still trying to get my head around the idea of allowing separate settings based on a named view. It sounds like you want a "Heights and Planes" option in the view definition that would allow you to create a named view and then set specific values to be used when that named view is used instead of the defaults or modal values from previous operations.

Did i get that right?

You're right on. Again maybe it's just me but if it is something you can consider see what the forum members have to say in another topic. I think this would have been very usefule for 5 axis programming for quite sometime but with the addition of the WCS I think this could be a useful tool to almost everyone. The WCS can be changed to mill another face of an individual part or changed to another WCS that is parralell to the top plane but has a different origin and offset #, so it would work for people doing multiple setups also. Again maybe have the option of using this or the standard setup. You could probably put to a vote the usefule features that would be available. I personally would like to see clearance, retract, top of stock along with work offset #(which I know is already there), and nci destination(very, very useful). So many of these values are changed because you are milling a different face or another work offset.

I hope I didn't open a can of worms but it could be an extremely useful to many(IMO).

Thanks for listening to everyones input.

Ken,

I hope you don't get tired of this, but Thanks for listening!

quote:

i guess you still have to be careful no mater what options we give you.

+1,000,000

quote:

I am still trying to get my head around the idea of allowing separate settings based on a named view.

Here's my take on this:

I program 99% of my multiple operation parts in the same .MC9 file. I use the WCS to create my different setups. So on a 6 sided part, I'll have at least 6 WCS's set up. Each WCS is it's own operation, with it's own group of toolpaths and it's own group of geometry, but all sharing the same group of tools.

What I'd like to see is

Either

1) The settings in Job Setup follow the WCS settings. (Now, creating a stock definition in Job Setup is lost when you move to another WCS. You have to activate that WCS for the stock to be correct, including in verify)

Or

2) The ability to create a custom stock definition for EACH WCS used, so you can create setup sheets for each of the operations

For the sake of using verify, a seperate stock definition page for each WCS would not be feasable, because the stock could conflict with other stock defined. So I guess the end result is, a "WCS aware" stock definition, with the ability to create seperate setup sheets for each WCS.

I hope it's a bit clearer, kind of hard to explain on only 6 oz of coffee thus far. biggrin.gif

'Rekd

quote:

I program 99% of my multiple operation parts in the same .MC9 file.

Im gonna add %1 to your equation. good thinking on such a small amount of caffine. biggrin.gif

I too have many opps to take care of and saving multi files to do it really makes a mess. very good idea. only make it simple to use. to change the wsc by a click of an icon sounds good. i dont like the set current this and that. if im changing cplane,tplane make it all go gview dynamic makes it easy to look at it

quote:

What I'd like to see is

Either

1) The settings in Job Setup follow the WCS settings. (Now, creating a stock definition in Job Setup is lost when you move to another WCS. You have to activate that WCS for the stock to be correct, including in verify)

Huh...I have thought that I was doing something wrong with teh WCS...Appears like I have been doing alright. Would LOVE to see this implemented.

Heh...Would also love to see a "toggle" for coolant on for all ops in the ops manager. Hate forgetting about this particular feature when I tape parts down to a fixture and get them blasted with some coolant! But of course, this is another issue..

bhyde teh separation of double sided tape from the fixture = part in the pan in the morning.... eek.gif

I too follow reked by that I program almost exactly like him.

99% of the time one file using the WCS system this is a great way to work.

I find this to be less hassles this way..

So Reked +1

Except I try and use the same Geo.

I might have to add but levels taks care of this.

It's also nice for fixture to be made and cut from the same file.

[ 08-12-2003, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

quote:

Except I try and use the same Geo.

I might have to add but levels taks care of this.

It's also nice for fixture to be made and cut from the same file.

Yes, any shared geometry is used, but at times you need to create new geometry for certain things, thus the 'groups' of geometry, instead of 'levels'.

One thing I didn't add; 98% of the time, I program so that every time the doors are opened, I get a complete part. This includes parts run on the rotabs, as well as on vises, (vises?? yuk!) So my program with 6 operations is generally posted as 1 NC file. (Unless I'm using subs). Which makes it a bit easier to generate accurate setup sheets, but I'm still having to take screenies of EACH operation as it faces the operator, to label datems etc.

'Rekd teh after-thought

quote:

to change wcs by the click of an icon sounds good. i dont like the set current this and that.

You can already do this in 9.1sp1...Just make sure the Reset Cplane/Tplane when changing WCS chackbox is checked on and all you have to do is left click in the WCS column of the WCS you want to active and its all done in one click.

OK, now my head hurts...

Since this topic came about as a discussion of defaults i want to drag it back there with an idea. You guys tell me if it works for you.

Add a switch in the View Manager (WCS dialog) to set or use "alternate defaults" for specific Views. This switch would activate a new tab on the view manager so you could easily set the clearance, retract, etc. (It would only work on Named Views.)

If this switch is active, and the named view is used, not just as a WCS, then the defaults for the planes would come from the View Manager instead of the Default Operations. But they would just be defaults for the initial start of an operation, the user could override them at any time.

This would require a switch in the defaults dialog as well, so users would know by looking in either location that alternate planes are being used, and where they are coming from.

Is this what you are asking for? Would this help?

Ken

OK, I'll spec it out and see if anyone else buys into it. I think i have come up with a simple way to accomdate those in favor of A and B with a Named View variant.

This proposed change will have no negative effect on Posting. It is only for setting the defaults for Clearance, Retract, and Feed planes on new opertations that use a named view with customized plane settings.

Now my head hurts again.

Ken

quote:

Are you a tractor collector?

I guess you could say that. besides the case dc I have a 53 john deere 50 series wd15 allis chalmers

a 190 allis and a case 1370 Agraking. the last 2 which are diesel,I use for farming. you should be out here this weekend. 3 miles from my house is the old gas tractor show. biggest one in the US

they have pulls from the old steel wheels to the v8 modifieds. plus a beer tent every night cheers.gif

Me and the family are heading home to visit Mom in Ohio for next week. I may sneak over to Portland Indiana next week, this is THE engine show of all engine shows.

Not a farmer anymore, did as a kid. Dad liked to use vintage tractors, i spent many an hour on the seat of a '37 John Deere D and a '39 F-20. I like the stationary engines because they fit in my garage.