Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

i7 Processors...better than xeon?

BTA

Most of what we do is 2d high speed but the multiaxis will be taking over next year. Toolpaths were just taking too long with X5 and with X6 zig zagging we are alot happier but still the long processing time is irritating enough to spend a few dollars. What would a SSD cost for this PC? Maybe I will add it later. We may also pickup 2 of these PCs so I will have that option later.

Depends on how big you go,a 120gb SSD will run you about $100

Use the ssd for your C drive, and the 2TB for storage.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=636&name=Internal-SSD

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I totally hear ya, I'm all for buying the best and fastest rig out there,but some companies just can't afford it. Especially the small 8 man job shops, which there are a ton of here in the metro Detroit area, even though I'm just outside of that.

I'm also for not overpaying for performance,my current computer here is faster than most of those solidboxx computers, with zero issues, and a warranty.

That's all I'm trying to say, I paid 1/2 the price, still get a 3yr warranty and it's faster. They do nothing special to their overpriced computers, there is no such thing as "optimized" for Mastercam. lol it's a marketing ploy that everyone falls for.

I'm not talking going top of the line here. I'm just talking about the difference between a $1,200 rig and a $2,000 rig. Kind of a mid entry level point if you ask me. There's a big enough difference in performance at that level that totaly justifies the extra $800. That was really my point.

I can;t really talk about my rig because it was around $5k, maybe more, and yes, worth every red penny of it. With the work I do, I was able to justify the expence with a 10 month ROI when condisering my last rig. I figure this should will last me another year to 18 months depending on how many mouth breather TSA goons get their hands on it at the airport. If it lives another 18 months, that will be a 4 year old rig.

"Optimized for Mastercam".. :rofl:

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

You want that SSD form the get-go. Don't put it off. You do, you'll regret the time and effort. But, if you're dead set on going that route, put ALL your data on the seond drive that way, when you get the itch, you can get an SSD and install your OS and software, then you'll be off ot the races. Don't forget to keep track of performance type stuff. How long to do a cold boot, how long to re-boot, how fast to programs start, etc...

Oh, and on the SSD, no need for VIrtual Memory on an SSD so you don't loose that storage space.

After all that, kick yourself hard and repeatedly for not doing it from the get-go. Just sayin' :whistle:

Taken from a user on Tom's Hardware forum:

"The 2 main reasons for defragging your disk is to limit the amount of times the drive heads have to move to a different section of the disk to read the data (limit the use of seek times on the disk). The second is to place the majority of your data on the outer edge of the disk where your read and write speeds are faster on a mechanical drive do to simple mechanical physics.

SSD's elimate both of these, one their seek times are next to nil. So moving to a different section of the disk causes little to no delay in data read/writes so you dont need to have a file placed sequentially on the disk. And their is no drop in performance over the entire size of the disk because there is no mechanical limiting factor continually writing everything to a particular section on an SSD will actually decrease the life expectancy on the drive as there are only so many writes per cell before failure. "

"So back to the question of defragmenting. When you defrag a hard drive, especially a SSD, it will end up causing tons of small write accesses, which will reduce the lifespan of the hard drive. And since data is not being read sequentially, it doesn’t matter if the file is stored in a hundred different places, the performance will remain the same.

So, no, you should not defrag an SSD. And performing one will actually reduce the life of your drive. All of the SSD manufacturer’s know of this problem and they have come up with an optimization technique with the use of the TRIM command."

You dont defrag a thumb drive either

Here is some googled info

Defrag is for hardrive with rotating discs storage and data gets placed every where

and the reader find it and assembles it so to speak

SSD is basically non-volatile flash memory it randomly accesses memory instead of sequentially like an HDD

it randomly accesses memory instead of sequentially like an HDD

And since data is not being read sequentially, it doesn’t matter if the file is stored in a hundred

different places, the performance will remain the same.

LOL I understand what a solid state drive is I just dont understand why you would have a defrag option when it cannot be done and widows is basically asking it for something it doesnt have an option for. Like a one handed handshake or the sounds of one hand clapping..he he he