Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

THREADMILLING

waymon1998

I RECENTLY HAD AN APPLICATION WHERE I NEEDED MORE DEPTH THAN NORMAL FOR A 3/8" - 16 NC

EXTERNAL THREAD. I FOUND A THREADMILL WITH ENOUGH LENGTH AND ORDERED IT. WHEN IT CAME IN

IT HAD A TWO SKIPPED FORM ON IT AND I COULD NOT FIND A WAY TO USE IT IN MASTERCAM.

ONE OF OUR CUSTOMERS REQUIRE MORE THREAD DEPTH THAN NORMAL AND I NEED TO FIND OUT

HOW TO USE THIS TYPE THREAD MILL.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

WAYMON1998

MASTERCAM X6 MUII

You have a p/n for the threadmill? If it is what it sounds like, a threadmill with every other tooth ground off, then program as normal - maybe a few added passes. So a 20 pitch thread would look something like:

G0G90X1.Y0

Z-.5

G1G41X.5

G3X.5Y0Z-.55I-.5J0

G3Z-.6

G3Z-.65

G3Z-.7

G1G40X1.

or

G0G90X1.Y0

Z-.5

G1G41X.5

G3X.5Y0Z-.55I-.5J0

G3Z-.6

G1G40X1.

Z-.5

G1G41X.5

G3X.5Y0Z-.55I-.5J0

G3Z-.6

G1G40X1.

WHEN PROGRAMMING IN MASTERCAM, IT ASKS FOR THE NUMBER OF ACTIVE TEETH.

DO YOU COUNT THE MISSING TEETH ON THE THREADMILL AS ACTIVE TEETH?

WHEN I COUNT JUST THE NUMBER OF TEETH ON THE THREAD MILL, THE THREADS

ARE MISSING AND TURN OUT JUST AS THE THREAD MILL WITH MISSING THREADS.

If you have a 16 TPI threadmill that has 1" of cutting length, you would tell it 16 active teeth, at least that's how I do mine.

All this does is determine whether or not the toolpath can do the form in 1 depth cut or whether or not it has to do multiple depth cuts to complete the thread.

It's not THAT big of a deal really, it would just increase the cycle time a little bit... play around with it to get what you want.