Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mastercam program for New York Yankees Top Hat Logo

yankboys59

Rotary Ninja,

Not surprising since you are in Indianapolis. Are there any major league teams near you? Personally I feel it's tough to watch a game on TV but it's too expensive to take kids to the game unless you go to a minor league game. The major league parks are becoming more about corporate impression sessions. If you want to hire someone and get them to really like the city/area take them to a major league game. :cheers:

I have been to AAA games. I went to see the Springfield Cardinals play years ago. A friend of mine was wanting to get Ted Simmons to sign some cards and a Baseball so we went to interrupt his day of scouting. Man he was a real @$$. We recently went and watched the Indianapolis Indians play. It was a real good time. I used to collect baseball cards when Nolan Ryan was still setting records. Then they had the big strike and I haven't watched or followed baseball since. I was struggling to make a living and couldn't even afford to go see a game. And they were on strike because 20 million dollars wasn't enough.

And they were on strike because 20 million dollars wasn't enough.

Yeah that always p!$$ed me off too about professional athletes. Really? You're going to bitch that you ONLY make $20M for 4 years to play a game? I'd do what they do for 1% of their pay and be frakkin' happy as a pig in $#!+. I wouldn't be as good as any of them because I'm too old but it would still be entertaining. :laughing: Pro athletes should be required to swap jobs for at least a week with one of us "Lumpa's" so they can appreciate what they have. Substitute "underpaid, unappreciated, hard-working, waitin' for the weekend, common guy" for Lumpa in the previous sentence. :cheers:

I have been to AAA games. I went to see the Springfield Cardinals play years ago. A friend of mine was wanting to get Ted Simmons to sign some cards and a Baseball so we went to interrupt his day of scouting. Man he was a real @$$. We recently went and watched the Indianapolis Indians play. It was a real good time. I used to collect baseball cards when Nolan Ryan was still setting records. Then they had the big strike and I haven't watched or followed baseball since. I was struggling to make a living and couldn't even afford to go see a game. And they were on strike because 20 million dollars wasn't enough.

Funny how people like to simplify things. I used to play in the major leagues so I know all about it first hand. The strike was about free market... Basically the owners don't like bidding against each other for talent and they were looking for a way to cap salaries, or cap their expenses. Imagine being a business owner with capped expenses but unlimited profit potential. Sounds pretty nice if you ask me. If I could go out and buy a Matsuura but pay a price capped at Haas levels that would be pretty sweet.

All the players were asking for is free market where they can go to the highest bidder without artificial limitations. This is how 99.99% of jobs are so they weren't asking for anything unusual. As a machinist, how would you like it if all the shops in your area got together and agreed to cap the pay for a programmer at $15/hr, no matter how good the programmer was? There are anti trust laws preventing that, except in baseball... they have an anti-trust exemption. The owners have some pretty good contacts in congress and it is pretty tough to compete against that without striking.

A few things things to keep in mind...

1. The owners are extremely wealthy and they didn't get that way by being stupid with their money. If they decide to pay a player $20 million per year there is solid justification for doing so from a business perspective.

2. If they are losing money they are NOT going to increase their expenses by increasing payroll. Business 101...

3. Players love to play baseball but at that level it is strictly business. There are millions of dollars on the line and the pressure is immense. It is NOT like amateur sports where it is all smiles and fun. We wanted to get fair market value for our services. Is that too much to ask?

4. If YOU were the best player in the major leagues, would YOU ask for the $20 million you could get paid? I think so... So how can you blame them for doing so.

Regarding Ted Simmons, keep in mind that he probably deals with that every day, and sometimes people have bad days. Remember, he was working. How would you like it if every day you were interrupted at work by people wanting to talk to you and get your autograph? It would probably be fine most days but there would be the occasion where you would tell the folks to take a hike and you would be forever an @ss in their mind. I dealt with that and it was a daily invasion of my privacy and uncomfortable. Restaurants, hardware store, Shopping mall, coffee shops, you name it... It got old really fast and I was a no-name.

Bob

• Like 2

Picture this... We drove over 100 miles to see Ted. The game was just a bonus. Ted is sitting there watching the game. We wait patiently til there is nothing going on on the field so we didn't disturb him. Then, this 15 year old kid walks up to him with what I would guess it the largest Ted Simmons scrap book on the planet and nervously asks for an autograph on some of his baseball cards. Ted says in a very p!$$3d off voice "I'll sign TWO!" He scribbles his name on two cards and never even looks his biggest fan in the eye to say a single word. If they were my cards I would have wadded them up and tossed them at his feet along with the rest of the collection. It broke the kids heart. He just wanted to show him how big a fan he was. I felt so bad I went and bought a baseball and walked back up to Ted and had him sign it and gave it to the kid. That ball was worth a lot of money at the time. But it wasn't about money for him. It was about meeting his hero. Who turned out to be an @$$hole.

And if my employer wanted to pay me and every moron on the street $75,000/year to program, machine, and clean the toilet I wouldn't cry one little bit! I guess it's all a matter of perspective. But I have never been one to want for too much.

Yes, the trunnion fits like a glove in the VM3 vs the VF2. Tool changes in the VF2 required the A-axis at zero and the table to move to a tool change position. Very versatile though, and the VM3 allows for setting tools with the trunnion in the machine without a special tool setter riser. Now that I have the rotary on the Makino A51 I will be moving away from doing 5-axis work on the Haas.

Bob,

I think it's a shame that Baseball has become such a business. Like all professional sports, it has become overpriced for the average American family to go and enjoy a game even just once a season. That's because of the high salaries from agents who make these deals with the owners so they can make their cut based on the talent of the player and what may be expected of that player to do. The owners made huge amounts of money. Most before they owned a pro ball team. Wouldn't it be nice if Shops had the same type of system as talent agents with pro ball players? We place too much power, money and admiration into the hands of players who don't produce anything that can benefit the financial situation for the whole country. We are entertained by them but nothing more. Fans fight over which team or player is better. Who fights for which shop makes better parts? Are there Manufacturing cards? Baseball cards can make lots of money for those who collect them. Where are the priorities in this country? We all gripe about the current financial situation but how did we get in such bad shape? By not concentrating on what made us great to begin with. We were the number one manufacturing country in the world after WW2. That's why our economy strengthened. Not because of pro ball players. I'm only resentful that they make so much money to play a sport. It's a distraction from what's really important. At this point for the sake of our country's economic stability we need to get back to the level of strength of 60 years ago. That way our kids will have a future where they can enjoy a good baseball game maybe several times in a season instead of once if they're lucky.

On another note Bob, we have the exact same trunnion but on a VM2. Would you happen to have a solid or surface model of the trunnion that can be used in the Machine Simulation? It's something my boss has asked me to find and I can't get any models from Haas. Just curious. I like the parts you're making though. Especially the Porsche magnesium intake. Do you find it easier to run dry with air blast on the Porsche head? B):cheers:B)

Hi Peter, I have the CAD files but you will need to get them into machine sim, since I don't use that. Send me an email with your preferred format and I'll send them along. I always run the heads with coolant. I turned it off for the video so I could film what was going on.

Thanks,

Bob

I was curious about that myself. Did you work in machining before you were in the Major League? I worked with an ex NFL player. He played one season with the Rams and one with the Chiefs. He was making probably around $12/hour running a couple Okuma lathes when I met him. I never asked him how hard it was to go from the NFL to running CNC lathes because he just didn't seem happy about being there.

When I made it to the major leagues I bought a house, then I bought a Bridgeport mill and a Clausing lathe. I pretty much taught myself how to use them during the off seasons and I built personal projects, etc.. including target rifles. When my career was over I went to Oregon State to study mechanical engineering. They had a Fadal VMC and with my machining background they decided to teach me how to program and run it. I soaked it up like a sponge and when the opportunity presented itself to order a machine and start the business I jumped in with both feet. The first machine was a Haas Mini Mill in 2005, then a VF2, then a VM3, then a trunnion, then a Makino A51nx, and now a Makino PS95 I will be ordering in the next few days. Needless to say I really enjoy it. The shop is right next to my house which is good and bad. It is pretty cool though because my youngest son (11) is starting to take an interest in it and he comes up and runs the tumbler, sweeps the floors, etc...

Bob,

That's fantastic! I wish there were more professional sports players who got into machining like you did. We would all be in much better shape in this country if there were. :D More young people would get interested in this dynamic field if their sports heroes did it. The Machine Simulation will accept STL geometry. My e-mail is [email protected]. Thank you very much for the CAD files. My boss will be pleased. I might even get to come on this website more frequently because of your generosity. :D:cheers:

I went to high school with Matt Mieske. Played little league baseball with (against) him. I never had the good fortune of playing on the same team as him, though my oldest brother did. Matt was a superb all around athlete. Now he's a financial planner.

https://www.google.com/search?q=matt+mieske&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a