Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Any ideas on how to tackle this part, all I have to do is a .375D slot .09Deep and a 60Deg Chamfer around its edge (x50). Any suggestions, I have used a simple contout with Comp off, and created the center line at height to drive it, then swept a surface using the upper and lower rail to run a flowline path on the chamfer. Any suggestions, wanna use the best path available. Thx !

post-23447-0-49329500-1352934126_thumb.png

I think I would attack this one just like you did. Comp set to off and drive the center, maybe two depth cuts taking a few thousandths at finish depth. This would depend on the material and how good the finish needs to be. Then a flowline or a contour surface finish pass starting from the bottom up making a few laps around.

Problem im having is the entry plunge, material is SS304 and im worried that the tool would clog up and fail. Wondering if there is a way to ramp the entry with a contour and comp set to off.

Have you tried just doing a contour(ramp)??? This will follow your geomtery with compensation set to off, and get it to do a pass at final depth

I play with the settings all the time to see what I get. Here, try this one...

Draw an L shaped contour. Create a contour path around it. Do a tangent lead in and out with like a 45 deg sweep or whatever. Turn depth cuts on and set to .250". Keep tool down is unchecked. On the linking page Set the clearance to 2.00". Check "use clearance only at start and end" and enable the retract plane. Set retract to incremental with a value of 0.00. Same settings for feed plane - incremental and 0.00. Top of stock to absolute and 0.00. Depth to absolute and -2.00". Your tool will make a pass, stay down, and rapid back for the next pass. I had a part this took like 15 minutes out of the cycle time.

• Like 1

Bingo!

Thats nice but the ramp angle is around 26deg, im afraid the tool will build up and fail. I used a Surface Finish Shallow and used direction to do a 5deg ramp 1.1" long; I used the slot's edges as a boundary and it worked like a charm. Will be trying to figure a shallower ramp with contour which should be 1.1"length and .096" height. Thx for the Help guys !

post-23447-0-35744000-1352990892_thumb.png

With any surface finish path you can just choose to leave a few thousandths on the drive surfaces and use that as a semi-finish pass. Then copy that toolpath down, set stock left on drive surfaces to zero and then you will have your finish pass.

On your XForm rotate are you rotating about the right axis?