Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

(Auto?) Data Switchers

n_tydingco

We are installing a couple of machines (Sodick A500L & Fadal 4020) and I need to run data lines to them. Problem is we have 2 "A/B" switches for the computers in the office upstairs and in the shop; and 1, 6-port switch, for the data going to each machine, with one port open.

Adding another manual A/B switch will only add to the confusion that happens when one switch isn't set at the right letter when a download is attempted and networking the controllers is out of the question.

Does anyone use an auto data switcher and if so, what brand/model?

Thanks. cheers.gif

Take the free output of the 6 box and input it into another 2 4 or 6 switch box (buy one). This is the easiest way I can think of. This will give you spares for all the machines you buy next year. wink.gif

We are lucky, 2 cnc machines, one computer, one AB box.

There is another way to do it even cheaper put a serial card in the back of oyur computer with 2 more cerial ports and keep changing them back and forth since the company cant afford to do it the right way. Seem weird that companies have $100,000 dollars to go buy equipment but not $500 to get something to make your time easier. I would look at it this way. If you do work like we do where we may have a 20 hour DNC cycle on our fadal and we have four then how smart would it be to have 3 machine sitting while one ran at $75 an hour for that 20 hours. I think that adds up to about $4500 dollars for one time the machine were wating for that one to finish seems real smart to save that $500 dollars doesn't it.

I will throw this out here if that if that were to happen only 10 hours a week for a year on 3 machines it would cost our company $117,000 in lost production. Think that would more than pay for those machines or might look real good in the owners pocket just a thought. On in Florida that will buy a house in Calforina that will not even buy a Lot to build a home on.

CRazy Millman

Norbert,

I will offer my .002.

I was also looking for a solution to a similar problem for our CNC's. I was told by some on this board to look at some products offered by:

MOXA

I think I am going to go with a 4 port serial server. These seem to work about the same as a print server for a network printer. Just for serial communication, so you can talk to a CNC from about any PC on a network. Also was told this will work with Cimco Edit that comes with MC. So you end up with a rather cheap DNC system, of sorts.

Just a thought - might be worth a look?

Price from my dealer was not that bad either! smile.gif

Good luck,

Mark Anderson

Thanks for the responses guys! We just got the power connected to the machines and now I need to evaluate our comm situation. I like the multi-port serial server because I can see being able to use the network to communicate with all of the machines.

Yes, the easiest way is to add another switch to the open port, but, we've already got three switchers inline and forgetting to set one of them is a common issue.

Jay, I'll call Greg or it'll probably be easier to communicate via e-mail since I'm not always at the desk.