Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SolidWorks 2013?

Oscar R.

Getting ready to install SolidWorks 2013. Anyone seen any issues with using models coming from SW2013?

In 2012 I had MC not be able to fully recognize all of the features in my models so it would'nt build a complete solids history when I impored them. Not sure if I was doing something wrong, or if was a translation issue.

Thinking out loud here but I've never been able to get a full solids history or anything for that matter with a .sldprt. Recognize (find?) features does a fairly crappy job as well. Good for filling holes quickly, thats about it. I don't think it's even possible to build a complete history. The reverse is true as well. Export a X_B from MC into SW and do a feature recognition and it looks nuts. Takes too long as well.

Here's the scoop on importing history: The function in solidworks (eg, extrude, sweep, fillet) has to be matched to the same function in Mastercam...so if you have a rib, scale, intent, deform, join, combine, cavity, etc etc etc etc in solidworks, mastercam obviously doesn't have those functions therefore it can't "create" them in a history tree. We're lucky that hole wizard features come in (however the head clearance field is NOT recognized and added in the import!). Importing with history is sketchy.

Your best bet is to import with features, then do a file > change recognition and import as a brick (no history) and see if it matches. Works very well to validate your history model which can so easily be wrong...

hth

Thinking out loud here but I've never been able to get a full solids history or anything for that matter with a .sldprt.

I never attempted to use this feature until 2012 so I can't comment on any problems with previous version on either side. But after a few attemps I just could'nt trust that my .sldprt file would come into MC complete so I just stopped trying it.

Most of the time I'll just save and import them as a dumb solid. Just figured it would be nice to have a complete solid history in MC.

Here's the scoop on importing history: The function in solidworks (eg, extrude, sweep, fillet) has to be matched to the same function in Mastercam...so if you have a rib, scale, intent, deform, join, combine, cavity, etc etc etc etc in solidworks, mastercam obviously doesn't have those functions therefore it can't "create" them in a history tree. We're lucky that hole wizard features come in (however the head clearance field is NOT recognized and added in the import!). Importing with history is sketchy.

Your best bet is to import with features, then do a file > change recognition and import as a brick (no history) and see if it matches. Works very well to validate your history model which can so easily be wrong...

hth

This makes alot of sense for some of the more complex SW functions that you mentioned above, but I've had models with simple extruded holes, boss, chamfers, etc. go bad.

I fugured it would at least work consistently for those features. But I really can't be 100% sure on that so from the little bit of experience I've had with it, I'm already not willing to use this MC function.

Also, as MotorCityMinion mentioned above, it takes too long to process the import. Which is somewhat understandable, but not worth taking a chance at going through the process just to see that my imoprt did'nt come through clean.

It DOSN"T work with XP... :no

Yup, SolidWorks had announced this for the last two releases. As of 2013 it will not load on the XP platform. I'm running Windows 7 so I should be covered for a few more releases.

Pretty much anything new on the planet no longer supports XP. Even Microsoft has said that they will stop supporting issues for the XP platforn.

Just a heads up for you guys out there still running XP.

You might want to pm Gcode, I think there may be some translation issues with SW2013 and x6 mu2. I think they are being addressed in an X6 mu3, but I am no Solidworks buff. Just whispers from the beta side. :cheers:

Thanks for the heads up on this. I was hoping to hear from you guys testing the Betas.

Any other feed back on issues is greatly appreciated. :cheers:

You might want to pm Gcode, I think there may be some translation issues with SW2013 and x6 mu2. I think they are being addressed in an X6 mu3, but I am no Solidworks buff. Just whispers from the beta side. :cheers:

no beta secrets here...

If you have SW2013 installed, X6MU2 can open SW2013 sldprt files ...

if you don't have SW2013 installed you'll have to wait for the next release to open SW2013 part files.

no beta secrets here...

If you have SW2013 installed, X6MU2 can open SW2013 sldprt files ...

if you don't have SW2013 installed you'll have to wait for the next release to open SW2013 part files.

Thanks for the input gcode. You commented before I had a chance to PM you on this. These rainy days got me draggin' my feet. :sleeping:

We've got a few customers that update there SW as soon as the box comes in the mail so I just wanted to be prepared for any potentials.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Mastercam user - I'm a SolidWorks user.

Every time we get the SW update, we have to wait about 6 months for our shop manger to get Mastercam updated before we can load the new SolidWorks. We didn't even bother with SW 2012. So, are the updates for Mastercam coming out faster then they used to? Is the X6 MU2 update really all they need to get to be able to use our SW2013 files? We'd really like to be able to upgrade SW before the next big project.

X6MU2 does not offically support SW2013, but in a weird quirk, If you install SW2013 on your computer

X6MU2 will be able to open SW2013 sldprt files.

I can also tell you that a translator update is in the pipeline and should be released soon.

I would go ahead and start using SW2013

X6MU2 does not offically support SW2013, but in a weird quirk, If you install SW2013 on your computer

X6MU2 will be able to open SW2013 sldprt files.

I can also tell you that a translator update is in the pipeline and should be released soon.

I would go ahead and start using SW2013

How soon is soon? Any idea? Seriously, I was hated pretty badly around here by our shop guys 3 or 4 years ago for jumping the gun.