Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Unwinding 4th Axis

EZ3PUTT

We have 2 Mori Seiki SV-500 verticle mills with Tsudakoma rotary attachments. Whenever we do 4th axis work they always position in the same direction. If the job requires it the 4th may go around numerous times to machine parts as required. At the end of the program the 4th will unwind all of the rotations it has accumulated while machining the part. It will also accumulate

rotational moves for anything past 1 revolution.

Example - if the 4th axis makes 2 full revolutions the control now displays 720°.

I have searched for some info here but see none or have overlooked it. What i would like to know is how to make the 4th take the shortest path, how to get around the "unwinding" at the end of the program and whether or not it can display actual positions instead of accumulated positions,

instead of 1 and a quarter rotations displayed as 450° can it display as 90°.

Using V8.1 with a modified MPFAN post.

Well I would contact my Machine Builder and ask them about a parameter change to do that. I get around limits that ours have by programming any moves over 1080 degrees in A buy taking the difference of the travel in x divided by a number to make it come out right. Requires a little bit of math but you can not post any incremental or absolute moves longer than that on the A axis with a Fadal. I have not taking the time play with the post to get it to do it have only had one job so far that I ran in that problem.

I really think it is an control issue and would contact my reseller or Mori Seki directly to see what they say. It may also depending on the age of the machine be something that is a qurek of the Machine.

Crazy millman

jadkins,

This is from our hacked-up mpfan for A-55 Makinos,

quote:

index : 3 #Use index positioning 0=No,1=Direction M-Codes,2=Signed

#3=Controler takes shortest path

This code is found in the Debugging section of the post. Don't know if it will help but you can add it to your post after you backup your orig post and try posting some code and go from there.

HTH