Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Matsuura and Methods?

Too bad James is gone, because he might have the scoop on this. I just saw this press release:

http://www.matsuura.co.jp/english/pdf/2013/Matsuura_Machinery_USA_130107E.pdf

It looks like Matsuura has had enough of Methods' sole importer status on their machines, and will now be selling straight to the dealers. That is good news for people in California, because it will likely mean a 20-30% drop in the price of Matsuuras. Any of our other insiders have any news on this?

wow. Methods will certainly be taking a hit, as will Selway. Thx for the info. I'm curious and will ask around.

My guess is Methods will become the dealer in the territories where they already sell direct, and then companies like Selway will buy the Matsuuras straight from Matsuura USA, instead of Methods getting a cut of those sales as well.

I have verified that this is correct; Methods will continue to provide parts and service for Matsuura machines already in the field but will have no further sales relationship with Matsuura.

I am not particularly pleased by this, but we only have [2] Mats so it isn't the end of the world.

C

The prices should drop now that the middle-man is gone which is good news for you envious ba$tards that wish you had MAM72's. :D:p

Whoa. So Methods isn't even going to be selling Matsuuras in the areas they represent directly? :help:

Methods must have done something pretty bad to cause Matsuura to sever a relationship they've had for a very, very long time.

It may not be that Methods and Matsuura ended up on bad terms. There is a lot of competition for machine tool dollars. A lot of builders are making changes that they believe will increase their sales opportunities and market share.

Taking something as non-value added as an importer out of the supply chain will definitely affect the cost of a machine tool in the right direction.

Taking something as non-value added as an importer out of the supply chain will definitely affect the cost of a machine tool in the right direction

To say that Methods did not add value to Matsuura is an ignorant statement to say the least. The McIver and Matsuura families worked together for more than thirty years bringing some of the finest machining centers in the world to the US and neither would've prospered nearly as much as they have without the other. Methods has been far more than simply an importer for Matsuura over the decades and it pains me to see this relationship being dissolved. That being said, pain is required for growth; I just hope this doesn't mean bad things for Matsuura in the US.

C

The cost of importing machines will still be relatively the same IMO. I think this move from Matsuura was to essentially a step up to the big leagues. The other major Japanese builders have American corporate facilities to serve this market better. It will allow Matsuura to better serve their American customers and gain market share. It will possibly open doors to larger accounts that were not previously possible.

To say that Methods did not add value to Matsuura is an ignorant statement to say the least. ...

Well, they are Non-Value Added to my organization. Just an extra added cost. I should mention that we do not buy our equipment from Methods. We buy from Selway. I'm sure they are great to their customers. Us on the West Coast... ummmmmm not so much.

• Like 1

I doubt that, but we shall see

C

I guess I can revise my statement to say it could give their customers in the USA better access to support. I don't know how much support Methods provided and what kind of a link they were between the customer and Matsuura Japan, but this should be improved by having a corporate office in America. Often distributors that carry machine lines that have lower sales numbers are not as experienced with the machines as a customer would hope. They just simply don't have the time on the machines. Having an American corporate presence for the distributors to draw from should improve their customer service abilities.

I doubt that, but we shall see

C

It will definitely make them a lot more competitive in some regions. We are also in a region that has to buy Matsuuras through Selway, and our prices are 20-30% higher than areas where Methods sells direct. That's a big reason why Matsuuras aren't real common in California.

What really surprises me is that the relationship will be completely dissolved. I would have thought it would surely be in both companies' best interest to have Methods continue selling direct in their territories.

Mori Seiki took a similar step a few years ago by purchasing Ellison.