Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mazak HMC

We have quite a few HMCs' in here (mostly Mori Seiki) and now we will most likely be purchasing Mazak. I don't know the details yet as to which one or how many, but I am guessing that it will need a minimum of 800mm pallet and @ least a minimum of 120 pot magazine. Probes/lasers as well as hi-pressure coolant are also a must. Primarily use will be for roughing Hi-Temp alloys...

Anyways, what could you tell me about them? Are they decent machines? What are some options that should be mandatory? Any input is appreciated.

The HCN-8800 with the high torque spindle is a MONSTER. I talked a friend of mine into buying one a few years ago after a decade of dealing with Ellison for his Moris, and never ending merry-go-round of Niigata distributors. It was the first Mazak he ever touched. He's buying another this year. Want to take a .250doc with a 6 inch facemill on a 12 inch arbor in steel? No problem.

He bought his before the "heavy metal" version was introduced, so that might be something you want to look into for your exotic metals. I think the casting is supposed to have more webs, and it's got a different spindle with an HSK interface.

The rest of the options are all the same as the E machines you guys have.

Thanks for the input Joe and the video is pretty cool too mkd.

The boss left the paperwork on my desk for the new Variaxis i-800, the Horizontal Center Nexus II as well as the "Hard Metal" Package, Integrex i-630V, and Integrex e-H II. He also mentioned possibility of another vertical Integrex (besides the e-1850 that is getting delivered in March)

I'll have some reading to do.

Not sure about that hard metal machine though. We do a lot of roughing with ceramics and 6K spindle is just not enough.

Thanks for the input Joe and the video is pretty cool too mkd.

The boss left the paperwork on my desk for the new Variaxis i-800, the Horizontal Center Nexus II as well as the "Hard Metal" Package, Integrex i-630V, and Integrex e-H II. He also mentioned possibility of another vertical Integrex (besides the e-1850 that is getting delivered in March)

I'll have some reading to do.

:help:

Not sure about that hard metal machine though. We do a lot of roughing with ceramics and 6K spindle is just not enough.

Oh yeah, I forgot about using ceramics. Might wanna go with the 10K spindle.

There's a place down here in the valley with an E-1060V8 and a HCN-8800 in a Palletech system. They send parts into the HCN to do all of the heavy roughing they can reach on a 4 axis machine, then over to the E-1060 for all of the odd angles. The 8800 is a lot more robust than the e-machines, due to the lack of a tilting head.

A 4 axis horizontal is going to be pretty darn boring compared to the rest of the stuff you're getting though. :turned:

Hi Mark

All of the work we are getting is large and complicated so we don't have much choice but purchase the right equipment.

The purchases are on contracts (most of them are very long term) that are signed so the chances are pretty low that we may be making bad investments.

We have a bunch of different brands in here already (Mori, Okuma, Mitsubishi, Parpas, Matsuura, Johnford, and bunch more that I can't remember now) and the management wants to try sticking to one brand as much as is permissable at the moment. All our mill-turns are Mazaks, but all our blisk work gets done on the Parpas and Mikron.

• 3 weeks later...

We have a HCN 4000 that cuts great but the pallet change/location needs a lot of work. If running steel the is a good chance chips will get stuck under pallet. There no cones the have block for locating. Not to mention service and parts really is lacking and kind of support. Good luck if you get one we buy Makinos and had no problems with anything.