Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

upgrade video card

Thoob

Memory isn't that expensive nowadays. So an extra 5 gig costing $3400 more than the 2000D doesn't seem realistic. I assume the cuda cores on the professional cards are different than they are on the gaming cards. I think you are comparing high quality apples to oranges that are sitting on the ground under the tree. But don't quote me on that.

I am sure someone here can chime in. All I know is our Quadro 2000 only has 192 cuda cores. There are other specs on the 6000 that help out as well. The memory runs at 384 bit vs 128 bit of the 2000D. So the card has more than double the processing power, 6 times the memory, and a memory interface that is 3 times faster. I think I could be happy with that :smoke:

I was not comparing the 2000. The card I was comparing is the K5000.

As far as I know, the cuda cores are the same on both types of cards.

The K5000 on the other hand uses the new Keppler and also is 4GB and has a 256bit interface.

• 3 weeks later...

Well after testing for a while running two older Quadro FX 4600 setup in SLI, I found like someone here stated MC does nothing with the SLI and I don't see much from the Cad programs either.( Solid works & Space Claim)

But I know Photo shop will like the quadro and SLI so these cards are going over to my wife's computer and I just got my Quadro 4000 to run in my desk top now.

I know the K4000M in my new M6700 rocks for sure. So I am expecting to see this on my desktop.

I can say I really did not run into any bottle necks with the current 4600's but I know this will be better and should be faster in some ways. let's see.

, I found like someone here stated MC does nothing with the SLI

That would have been me :)

I've had a system in SLI for years, never did anything when running Mastercam. More of a "gamers" thing.

Though I think programs like Maya and couple of design type things will use it.

the CAD/CAM side doesn't bother, why, I don't know. Use all the horsepower you can use is my motto.

Yeah, I am really surprised the professional software hasn't really taken hold of the SLI setups and ran away with it. It doesn't make much sense to me. In the Professional world it would make more sense to be able to double your performance by adding a second card to your system.

I just grabbed a new PNY Quadro 2000D for steal at $320. I was kind of hoping I could get a deal on a 4000, but they are just a tad out of my price range.

Yeah. we have the 2000D at work. Only in my home build it will actually be backed by a PC with some real power. So I am really anxious to see how well it performs in a real PC. I told my boss I was going to bring my PC in when I get it done and show them how much faster we can get things done with a real PC. Should be an interesting demonstration.