Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th and 5th axis setup

Bill Henderson

I have used Solidcam for the most part on 4th and 5th axis programming, but am now using MCam. We also use Gibbs here.

Question we are having... When you setup your part initially in MCAM do you position it from machine center? i.e. 6" in z? or position the part as you would typically in a vice per se.. center center top for instance?

If you do that the second way (which is how Solidcam and gibbscam does)when you go to post you tell it what the machine zero distance is and the code comes out adjusted. This way makes it easier in case you need to repost to a differnet machine that may have a different value.

If the second way is a good way to do it where would I put in the values in Mcam for the machine center?

On our Mori's at the place I used to work we used #701 and variables so the operator could adjust the offset at the machine as needed.... but that was manually edited code after after post on my part.

Which way is the most common?

Thanks for any input.

If your machine does not have TPC, you'll need to program from center of rotary for full 5X work.

It's best to place your part in Mastercam with Mastercam's origin at center of rotary.

That's not always possible, because you may not have an exact number till you actually set it up.

A simple way solve this is creat a point in your file that represents the center of rotary.

Make copy of Top linked to that point and program your part using that as WCS

If you discover during setup that you're a little bit off, move the point the required distance and regen.

• Like 1

The best ( and usually not practical) solution is to create plug and play Mastercam files,

Then all you have to do is move your WCS point, regen and post.

Of course you loose any on machine optimization your proven Makino file may have

If you are just doing 3+2 work on a trunnion type machine, your best bet is to use

a new work offset for every rotary position.

That way you should be able to run your proven Makino files on your Haas without too much trouble.