Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Eliminating faceted edges

Marshal

I know I've fixed this before, but can't remember how. Every time I import a file from Solidworks and program it, the code (and finished part) is never arcs but small facets. I know part of the problem is that most of the curves I'm using are splines due to the part I'm trying to match, but where is the setting to make those facets as small as possible?

I suppose I could simplify the splines into arcs to clean up the facets on the machined parts, but is there a better way?

aRC FilTEr in the tool path settings.

Convert as many splines to arcs as you can first.

Any part, not just solidworks files, can create issues like this.

So basically the best way is just to convert the splines to arcs?

Hi

First timmer

I was wondring about this also what is the best tol seting for exporting from sw and import to master cam. and also other files to get good surfeses to cut. The filter lets the mill smoth out the fasetes using arcs but point to point is diffrent some files you get a glass finish some you do not ?

Also we were thinking about posting in .00001 resoluton, pros cons every body doing it .

The resaler also said to adjust arc filter settings to smoth out the flats. Up down? What are having good luck with? I realy hate postin g18 and g19 code, bad expirnses!!

What total tol .0001, .0005,or .00001 I still want to cut shutoffs properly

it seemes like even when we thighten evry thing up it still comes back to the surfis geomatry for the finish.some times good other times not. It seems like the surfeses we are cutting some times are just alot of flats if you look close.

Hi

First timmer

I was wondring about this also what is the best tol seting for exporting from sw and import to master cam. and also other files to get good surfeses to cut. The filter lets the mill smoth out the fasetes using arcs but point to point is diffrent some files you get a glass finish some you do not ?

Also we were thinking about posting in .00001 resoluton, pros cons every body doing it .

The resaler also said to adjust arc filter settings to smoth out the flats. Up down? What are having good luck with? I realy hate postin g18 and g19 code, bad expirnses!!

What total tol .0001, .0005,or .00001 I still want to cut shutoffs properly

it seemes like even when we thighten evry thing up it still comes back to the surfis geomatry for the finish.some times good other times not. It seems like the surfeses we are cutting some times are just alot of flats if you look close.

Wow what language is that!? Had to read it a couple of times to be able to follow.

Arc settings should fix your problem. Set the tolerance to be finer. I usually get great results with 0.002 (metric) so 0.0001"(approx). Also using the edit->simplify geomtry on your chains you are using will really help.

• Like 1

thanks for repling

it is only in the surfes tool pathes that we have problums with scallops, hybred etc. If you look at tool paths you can see it, in the steel you can realy see it, we started geting more of this swithching from X3 to X5 and it still is here in X6 .

we cut a mold that was orignly drawn in m9 and progrmed in X6 a few months ago and the surfes finish was perfect.

If you like you can certainly use the "simply" function to convert a spline that should have been an arc into an arc. But there's no need to use "break many pieces" to break a spline into multiple arcs/lines. Just set the toolpath to use the arc filter with a 2:1 ratio with an overall tolerance of .0002". This will typically give accurate results, with "mostly" arcs. There are certain situations where another process may be required but for most situations this works well.