Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th axis toolpath question

BBprecise

Mornin' all, got a bugger of a problem I can't seem to grasp. I have a 1/2" shaft mounted on a VMC "A" axis with centerlines at Y0. I need to put the corner of an endmill at the centerline of the part and rotate the 4th 90º. I've tried Curve 5axis output as 4 axis movement, 3D Contour with axis substitution but it always wants to put the center of the tool o center of the 4th axis. Is there a way to what I need or am I SOL? The pic is from the left view.

post-20998-0-23387500-1366196926_thumb.jpg

Curve 5 axis would do it, but you would need to tell it 4 axis output and use the lines to control the tool axis. If you tool axis control is center then you lose control of the tool where as if you use line then those lines are going to control where your tool goes. Might even have to think about the toolpath being the center of the path for the chain and use no control, but looking at the picture I have no clue what you are really trying to do.

• 2 months later...

I have a similar issue with milling a cam on a horizontal full-forth, I have a solid model that is 21.3 in diameter, I use an x-axis substitution and when I chain the geometry and when I watch the backplot the tool bounces off of the edge leaving an uneven machining operation. I know there is a way to smooth this out, yet my reseller or Mastercam has not been able to explain how to achieve a smooth toolpath. I am using the generic 4-axis that came with X7 and our custom post. What check boxes should I use, or should I only use a centerline and compensate both sides?