Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3d vent on mold parting line

gmenzies

Hello

I would like some advice on a surface tool path. I have a mold cavity that has a 3d parting line. Due to the material being molded , venting the entire parting line is important.

I produced the final parting line using scallop toolpaths. I created a vent channel easily using a project to surface toolpath. now I need to cut a vent .0005" approx .05" wide from the cavity wall.

I can set a boundary easily to limit the extents using scallop tool path. I tried to use a check surface as inner boundary, but the scallop toolpaths treat check surfaces as geometry to cut. If I try to just cut the surface that only has the vent , the toolpath rolls the cutter over the edge into the cavity.

are there some tips or tricks that I can use to limit the tool to just cut on top of the surface and not roll the edge.

any help would be very appreciated

Gord

Hi Jay

after some playing around today . I found a solution. I had to trap the tool-path inside the boundary. ie: only the surfaces I wanted to machine.My mistake was that I have made a boundary that was a box that crossed over the cavity. I created edge curves on the inner boundary and used that also. the boundary now resembles a big U. sometimes can't see the forest for the trees.

one thing though. the scallop toolpath has advance settings. the hightspeed scallop does not ?

appreciate your Help

Gord

post-124-0-81236800-1367179837_thumb.jpg

Make an edge curve where you want the vent to run from the P/L etc.

Project the edge curve up somewhere off the part

2D contour the toolpath

THEN make a Project Finish toolpath and

Pick the 2D toolpath use the method "NCI" check box and pick the 3D surfaces on the Mold

To project the Previous path unto

Boom Shaka Laka