Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

contour depth cut and multipasses question

chipman

Is it possible to have within "ONE single operation" using the same piece of geometry, a single milling pass that leaves stock in "XY" and "Z" and then a second milling pass that comes back and removes that stock in "XY" and "Z"

First pass, leaves .002 on "XY" and .002 on "Z"

Second pass removes the .002 from "XY" and "Z"

Hopefully the tool can stay down between first and second pass

Thanks ahead of time.

I haven't ever been able to do it in one operation, what I usually do is make two identical ops.. and have the first one leave .002 on walls and .002 on floors, and the second one cuts finish this also lets me alter RPM and feed independently depending on whether its a rough or finish op.

I dont beelive using this method there is any 'safe' way to force it to keep the tool down.

one operation is going to give you a finish pass for xy plus one for z actually z finishes first followed by xy.

i know: confusing and backwards.

just use two and get fine tuned speeds and feeds between roughing and finishing as mentioned

I have done the work-arounds, Never cared to have feeds and speeds change.

I usually do it for features that need decent finish but not size critical

I have tried messing with the different switches inside depth cuts and multi-passes with no luck.

Thanks for the help guys!

Yes, it can be done. You can make a cut, then make a second cut finishing the floor and the wall at the same time, and keep the tool down, and change the feed and speed on the finish cut. All in a single toolpath. Here is how...

Create a curve at the final depth and diameter. Translate (copy) this chain up .002". Analyse the new chain and make the diameter -.004" smaller. So now you have two chains. One .004" smaller than the other. The smaller diameter is .002" higher than the larger. Create a contour toolpath selecting the upper chain first, then the lower. Pick your tool, set the lead-in and lead-out and set the linking page to this...

incr-fin-pass_zps62b35fb4.png

These settings will keep the tool down throughout the toolpath. You can of course set the top of stock and feed and retract planes to absolute and the tool will feed from a safe position of your choosing. I myself like watching someone clinch up when they see the tool rapid down into the part ;)

If you are blending to a floor and still want to use these settings at 0 to keep the tool down throughout the toolpath add a ramp using the helix setting to your lead-in.

If you want to change the feeds and speeds of the finish pass open up the geometry window and right-click in the window and select "change at point". Click the lower chain and a window will open allowing you to do all kinds of tinkering to that chain's toolpath.

Thanks Ninja,

That does work, :thumbup:

Can be a PITA if you have lots of chains, which is my case.

I am interested to know if possible with single chain.

Really looking long term here, something that I would use often not just today.

I would save those settings to my bag of tricks

If "tapered walls" in depth cuts took negative values it would work, set it to -45 deg.

• Like 1

I agree that right now two ops is prob the simplest way to do it..

Wouldnt it be great if you could assign a roughing and finishing speed and feed to a tool

Then have a contour toolpath that would do a rough and finish that actually used those values and had boxes for

stock to leave on wall rough

stock to leave on floors rough

stock to leave on walls finish

stock to leave on floors finish

That would save me a ton of time on a lot of my toolpaths and keep me from CONSTANTLY opening and closing windows to change feedrates on finish passes..

We can only hope that this becomes a reality someday ..

Ninja,

I appreciate the help, If it's workarounds, I have tons of those.

It's just every once in a while I think to myself "There has to be an easier way"

Thanks,

I guess I would have to see an example part to give you any other advice. Sounds like there are some good suggestions here for the feature suggestion thread.