Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

On 7th part after first article... all went to HELL

mike561h

Running Haas VF4 Rrunning 20 parts all goo UNTIL IK checked last part Z dropped .005 part still good was over by .0025 .Then .1893 prcision hole opened to .196..

Haas cutter comp on at .0023 to meet specs. on hole. This machine is a crap hole. Did test block ran 20 .193 holes with .125 cutter NO comp on. It milled a .197 hole. F#$$%%@ .193 pin should not go in. HA no cuttrer comp needed LOL.... What u guys think the issuse is?? Haas Tech guy just replaced motor this weekend. But I got a couple more good parts until it took a crap... Mybe ENCODER

Keep in mind your effective chip load on milling a hole that close to cutter size is way higher than it normally would be. Not saying that is whats causing it but something to think about as far as deflection goes.

Mike

right, with this tool to dia ratio, 6 ipm would spin around nice and fast.

plus if the hole is that important, bore and ream..or the like

isn't the encoder part of a new motor replacement? Occam razor says the simplest solution is usually the one. recent service and problems all of a sudden...

I ran op1 22 parts beforer motor blew. Then ran 5 op2 before crap hit the fan.. We shut machine down and restarted. now running another part. keep yopur fingers crossed.

The material is aluminum and the precision hole is only .200 deep. And I ran it on op 1 no probs and we have made this part for years. I shut power off in back turned back on did test holes with cutter comp and it worked. Just praying it dont crap out before I get this op done. still have 1 more op to go. rats!!!! It sucks make me wann have a shot of PATRON!!!

Could be a glitch in the Haas, we have had similar issues with our VF5. Wear comp had to be set .0023 big on a finish Mill to cut a hole to size, in fact still runs this way today. One of our programmers did a program using control comp., which worked fine, then when we set back up a production job using wear and it all went south! The holes cut all over the place, we are talking .075 to .125 big. Haas tech's said "well, I don't know exactly, only seen that happen a few times". I cannot wait to get rid of that thing, seemed nice and cheap when we bought it in 2011, lesson learned, You get what you pay for! We have had more issues than I care to say, but now I know for sure they are junk, being that your comp. is off the exact same amount as our's. I will give you another head's up, take out the tool pot dampener before it starts wrecking holders or your probe. We found some machines come with and some without, they are not needed and tool change is much quieter without them in. IMO, they are a throw away machine, so make your money fast.

I had a weird issue with a Haas a couple years ago, may be related.

We had a part that had been in production for years with no problems whatsoever. They had been run on 4 different Haas's ranging from about 2006 to 2008.

Then we bought a new Haas, this was in, I beleive 2009 or 2010. It had the same control, but the software was a little different, but basically the same machine,

We started running this same part. F/A was good. After a bunch of parts were run, I noticed one had a big gouge in the side. I started going through them, and found several, with the exact same gouge, in the exact same place. But the rest were perfect.

I started dry running the machine and watching it, while doing the outside profile, it would make a wierd move, and it would do it on every 5th part, but not on the 4 in between.

Dry running the same program on an older Haas there was no glitch at all.

So, looking at the program, the cutter comp was not being turned on and off correctly. (ametuer programmers on the loose) I reprogrammed it, and the problem went away.

Why only on the newer control? Why only on every 5th part? But the culprit was a bad program