Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How do you set up your tools (speeds/chip load) while programming?

neurosis

Wasn't I reading somewhere that a few of the tool manufacturers have already put together tool libraries we can download and use in Mastercam?

Ahh, I found what I was reading. It was about the already included Iscar and Dapra stuff. Wonder why Garr and the rest haven't jumped onboard with this. You would think if all the tool manufacturers built a tool library for Mastercam it would make it easier for programmers to use their tools.

Wonder why Garr and the rest haven't jumped onboard with this. You would think if all the tool manufacturers built a tool library for Mastercam it would make it easier for programmers to use their tools.

It would be a great marketing tool for both Mcam and the tool manufacturers. if the included tool libraries are setup with mfg's recommended cutting data and tool order information it would be a great selling point for both!

"I can't really argue with success at this point."

Ya, he's back, lol.

I never cared for the MC calculator, it always felt awkward, but I never really gave it a chance either. I usually save and pull the tools that I use on a daily basis to / from mill_inch and clean that library up every now and then. I've found that too many variables exist with regards to the adaptive clearing type tool paths and eventually gave up on adding those to the library. The hand held calculator is like my left nu#, always there.

I use tools that are already saved in the library for that machine, or I make them as I go along (Make a toolpath, and then right click>new tool, instead of selecting one). Then I use the crappy little text fields in the create new tool field to calculate speeds and feeds. They are live, just like most of the others in Mastercam, so I don't have to use a calculator. I'd prefer if they had SFM and IPT inputs right there in the define tool tab, just like they have in the toolpath.

• Like 1

I'd prefer if they had SFM and IPT inputs right there in the define tool tab, just like they have in the toolpath.

If they would add sfm and ipt to the "tool parameter fields", unless you are creating a tool/material library, there would be no need for the calculator and the extra steps needed to use it in the first place. So whole heartedly agree with this.

Or as I said earlier, ;) add a "save to tool" button to the operation.

why not have it in both places? There are many different ways to do a lot of things in mcam whats one more. Atleast then you could save when you want so when your part dictates a different sfm then what you are use to you can do it on the fly as opposed to having to overwrite your standard settings

If they would add sfm and ipt to the "tool parameter fields", unless you are creating a tool/material library, there would be no need for the calculator and the extra steps needed to use it in the first place. So whole heartedly agree with this.

Or as I said earlier, ;) add a "save to tool" button to the operation.

Hi Neurosis, not sure if this is what you are asking or not, but I usually just calculate the rpm from the manufacturers data manually. So I mean I type the calc into the RPM field. 300*v/d where v is your m/min and d is your tool diameter eg. for a 12mm EM with a recommended smm (metric) of 250, i'd just type in 300*250/12, which yields the result 6250RPM.

Likewise for Feed, I just multiply the chipload by the number of flutes by the rpm, so for a tool with a chipload of 0.05mm/tooth, with 4 flutes, I just eneter 0.05*4*6250 which gives you a feed of 1250mm/min. Hope this helps

I use tools that are already saved in the library for that machine, or I make them as I go along (Make a toolpath, and then right click>new tool, instead of selecting one). Then I use the crappy little text fields in the create new tool field to calculate speeds and feeds. They are live, just like most of the others in Mastercam, so I don't have to use a calculator. I'd prefer if they had SFM and IPT inputs right there in the define tool tab, just like they have in the toolpath.

If you make this material

ALL_MAT_DEF_zps77b0f4ac.jpg

then this works using actual values, not percentages.

define_tool_zps34800eed.jpg

This just a garr carbide drill using 200 sfm, and .0025 cl, or you tell it 1 flute and change it to ipr of .005

• Like 3

Excellent Slepy.Im going to give that a shot.That is basically what I was doing before only in a different place. That should be a fast and easy work around. I may even stick with that method. It seems easier.Those values must not be transferring from the calculator.