Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Serial Device Servers

BrianP.

We are looking at purchasing another 1 or 2 devices for sending and recieving programs wirelessly. We also on occasion drip feed some programs into our older machines because of size. The older one we have is a Moxa Nport W2150 and it seems to work ok and we can still get the same one.The new ones are running around $300 a piece. Was wondering what other people use and are there better ones at possibly better prices. Kind of leery of buy something cheap and having the machine crash because we bought something cheap. Machines are all Haas ( yeah I know ) ranging form early 90's to 2012. Cimco software.

Thanks

Brian

Quatech SSEW-100D

Digi Connect Wi-SP DC-WSP-01-S

We use the wireless Moxa NPort W2150 and the wired Moxa NPort 5110 with Cimco Dnc-Max. I have seen up to 200 programs transfered in a day at our shop. Both have been very realiable with data transmission. We have had several of the NPort W2150's die but they have a 5 year warranty :)

Thanks John. The owner here is checking to see when they bought it. They think it was only maybe 3 years ago. From a quick check of prices it looks like the Moxa is competitively priced so we will be picking up another of those :D .

I have installed thousands of serial device servers, Moxa is a good brand, have a great warranty, and there are extra features that incorporate with the Cimco software.

the W2150 is no longer available, it has been replaced with the W2150A (better internal parts, and firmware)

Quatech has been unreliable for us in the past so we have moved away from the brand

• 3 weeks later...

I can vouch for the Moxa serial port servers as well. I've installed and administered about eight of them over the past six years, and I really like them, I have a 5610-8 in my office right now. And as mentioned above, they integrate really well with Cimco DNC Max.

I've considered wireless, but I'm not sure how others have experienced it. I've found with wireless that there are times when it sometimes drops out. I doubt that would be very good when dnc'ing a large mould programme. Hence the reason that we are still wired. I've never had a serial wired connection drop out when drip feeding.

W2150A

W2150A

W2150A

W2150A

W2150A

W2150A

W2150A

Quatech has a faster hardware (Motorola RISC processor) but that's not important for DNC - We've been using Moxas/DNC-Max here at 115Kbps with full hardware handshake for 3 years without problems. (Well, we had some problems with some units too but they got replaced and the new generation W2150A is better.)

Last time I checked Quatech did not support WPA2 enterprise. I bought a couple of units and could not make them work here. When I figured it out and asked to return the device they tried to push me an inferior model that had an updated firmware. They also told be they had no plans to support / upgrade their firmware to use the latest security features of Wireless protocols. The conversation ended up right there... I still have those units in a box somewhere...

and there are extra features that incorporate with the Cimco software.

+10000

• 2 months later...

I just installed the MOXA UPort 1450. The installation was easy. After installing the CIMCO software on the new PC and moving the machine protocol files over to the new PC, we connected the RS-232 cables from the machine. All is working fine. The MOXA 1450 is a nice and inexpensive unit for any one looking to do the same. Thanks to all that offered input.