Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Save 1st op verify as stock model for 2nd op

Thoob

Yes depends what version your using though.. in 7 its a bit different than 5 or 6..

in 5 and 6 there is a disk on the verify dialog window you can hit to save the stl. . in 7 I beleive once verify is done running you go to to file save STL..

All that being said using different views for each op in one file is another alternative that is a lot less hard on your system

I have X6 and yes there is a disk to save. That is what I have done, but I need to be able to flip it so it shows the second side to use IT as the new stock, however I can't get it to flip. I used the WCS and was able to get it where I want, I save it as a new stl, but when I open it again, it is back to the original side. Dynamic Xform does not work on the STL.

xform stl is one way, another way is to set the stock view in your 2nd op to the stock view that was set in your 1st op too.

In many cases setting OP2 stock view to Top will orient that stl for you as well

Ya I tried xform stl but it still doesn't save after I make the changes. I mean it saves as the new file but when I open it, it reverts back to the original.

As for setting the stock view the same as it was in 1st op, that is already done. Maybe I am not understanding what you are saying. Sorry for the confusion.

I accidently posted in Wrong Topic this is for "System Origin" sorry everyone...

I had a hard time with this but found as long as I brought in my stock in the Top View of Mastercam Views, and then Create WCS and views as needed, complete my 1st operation Programming

run Verify and get things as I want them, I then Exit Verify set my WCS back to Mastercam Default "Top" and run Verify again, and now when complete save the STL, when you return to Mastercam for your next operation with a new WCS the stock will be repositioned to suit just like your Part File

A lot of people don't understand using WCS's. It makes life so simple. There is nothing to move around. You actually don't even have to move the model at all to setup OP-1. You just set a WCS at the origin you want to use. Once you figure it out your programming will be so much easier. Stock models stay in place. And as Jay said, there is rarely a need for an STL unless you need to use it for your initial stock or a fixturing component. After that stock models are the way to go.

Yeah Jay I don't know how to use WCS properly yet. Its on my list! So atm I am creating new Machine groups for each Setup and Repositioning Stock through Xform STL. I agree with you in that WCS seems to be the best way of doing it.

Thanks Jay, I would appreciate that! It's not really something that I am able to play around with at work as we have a fair bit of demand and pressure, and my boss is reluctant of changing the way we do things without solid proof that it is a better way to work. So I will endeavour to learn this at home, and implement it as much as I can through the learning group projects and then I can take start using it at work once I am comfortable with how to use it.

I've been working with Matercam for approx. 2 years and I'd like to think that I am far from being a novice, however I guess with things like this it puts my skills a little behind where they should be.

Holy crap. Guys I already got the solution. Look at my last post. Thanks but I got it. I also mentioned in my previous post I used the WCS. It did not work. I also mentioned I made a stock model in my very first post. Not too sure if you guys even read the anything but the title, lol.

This topic would make a good webinar or tutorial.. I've been trying to figure this out too. I'm sure many others are too.

Yeah Jay I don't know how to use WCS properly yet. Its on my list! So atm I am creating new Machine groups for each Setup and Repositioning Stock through Xform STL. I agree with you in that WCS seems to be the best way of doing it.

These are the people I was replying to Thoob.

Thoob do you use WCS? so you program one side then use WCS for the second side and the stock will follow and you do not have to use a STL or Stock model.

Do you need me to post a sample video of a part programmed for 4 side and different setups and how it verifys?

Thoob, you know about Stock Model, right?

Sorry Ninja I was referring to these 2 posts.

As the title says. Can I somehow save the verify model from my 1st op to use for my second op? I notice you can save it, but I need to be able to flip it for second side and as an stl, I don't know how. The dynamic xform does not work.

Sorry Thoob but there is nothing in here about using "Stock Model" the option.

Also Thoob I wish you share your file as you do not have use the STL for a op1 to op2 of the same part if you use the WCS tools and set stock once. You can tell me to shut up and I am ok with this or you can let us teach a new tool and understanding.

I am glad you got what you needed but sounds like it was allot of work.

The reason I wanted the stl is because I needed that first op completed profile for clearance issues. So by using the first op stl (save stl), I got the stock completed on the 1st side. Now when I wanted to use this as my stock for 2nd op, I can now see where the part will be sitting. The problem is the stl was flipped and I couldn't flip it to match the part. I tried using the WCS to get it how I wanted it to be but it would not save it. There was not a lot of work at all. I simply used Xform translate 3D on the stl and changed the orientation of the part. Took me no more than 5 secs. The issue was trying to find the right command to do what I wanted. perhaps I didn't explain myself clear enough, maybe you still won't understand what I mea, but nonetheless, I got it to work.

The reason I wanted the stl is because I needed that first op completed profile for clearance issues. So by using the first op stl (save stl), I got the stock completed on the 1st side. Now when I wanted to use this as my stock for 2nd op, I can now see where the part will be sitting. The problem is the stl was flipped and I couldn't flip it to match the part. I tried using the WCS to get it how I wanted it to be but it would not save it. There was not a lot of work at all. I simply used Xform translate 3D on the stl and changed the orientation of the part. Took me no more than 5 secs. The issue was trying to find the right command to do what I wanted. perhaps I didn't explain myself clear enough, maybe you still won't understand what I mea, but nonetheless, I got it to work.

Thoob, you can create a stock model for the second op that uses the data from the first op stock model. You just have to set the WCS in the stock model and it will move to where you want it for the second op. It's much cooler than the STL because it's associative. If you change your first op, you just regenerate the stock model.

I didn't even know this was possible until Josh made a topic explaining it awhile back :

http://www.emastercam.com/board/index.php?showtopic=71445