Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X7 Seemingly Random Not Repsonding Crashes?

djstedman

Has anyone else had an issue with X7 just randomly locking up and not responding?

Mine has been doing it for a while now where it just randomly locks up and shows as being using about 13% cpu forever? until I close it and restart.. and even sometimes then.. it will do it again shortly after opening the file. Seemed like at least a couple times it had to do with switching from Wireframe to Shaded on solids..

Just lost another hour of programming time I cannot afford to lose.. its hard enough to justify to management the need to stay up to date when things work well but this not responding problem is killing me..

Not sure if this is something others have run into.. if it could be a setting or what.. so frustrated.. anyhow.. i'm running X7 SP1.. think that's the latest and greatest..

If no on else is having the problem I guess I can try uninstalling scrubbing registry and reinstalling.. and have some more non productive time to try and explain to my bosses.. would really rather avoid it if possible though.. when your personally handling 3 machines that are in cycle and have two more waiting for programs with operators standing around lost hours start getting really damned frustrating.. if I have to re-install do I need to download the whole file again? Internet here is dreadfully slow.. so if there is a version that's patched and up to date I would really like to at least get that in one file rather than getting stuck downloading two.. and sorry for ranting a bit.. im kind of pulling my hair out here..

What kind of computer do you have? How complex a file are you working with?

Mine (good computer) goes into the not responding thing once in a while, but never for more than 10-15 seconds..and it doesn't crash....

To keep from losing your programming time when it does crash, do you have backup enabled? If so, click save constantly (every 5 mins or so...)

I have an I3770 with 32Gb of ram working off a 256GB SSD I have a 4GB GDDR5 version of the AMD Firepro W8000

Anyhow backups are enabled so I did manage to save most of what I thought I lost I didn't lose nearly what I thought though..

The not responding thing has been happening for a while now.. and I cant really pin down what is doing it.. the file I am working on is pretty simple actually.. just some 2d lines and

I just created 2 simple revolved solids.. so I am doubting it has anything to do with file complexity..

It didn't seem to do it when I first put X7 on here so I don't know if its something is corrupt or what.. its only happened to me with files with solids in them.. and I have noticed that generally it happens right after I click the toggle to go from wireframe to shaded.. even weirder it seems like if I go in and change my shading settings to have lines on the edges .. then it shows up and things seem to work ok..

If I click the regular shade solids button though it crashes.. so don't know if its a setting that's saved screwed up or what.. I do know it totally sucks when it happens cause I do get the occasional .. not responding .. then it comes back after a bit.. and you never know if its that.. or one of these so I end up sitting here for like a minute wondering how long I should wait before I kill it through task manager and restart..

Anyhow.. just hoping I can pin down what is causing it because other than that I have had pretty good luck with X7 so far..

Let's go with the two facts you presented:

* It didn't (or at least, you don't remember it doing it) when you first installed X7 (Let's say a month ago).

* It does it when going between wireframe and shaded.

I'm laying money on a graphics driver that windows updated. I know at home I have an ATI, and I've long said about 'em, I love the hardware, but the drivers are often flakey.

I'd start by downloading the latest and greatest driver for your card.

Will give that a shot.. and btw been cursing the IT department here ever since getting the computer.. for getting the firepro and not the quadro I told them to put in it..

The real irony being they spent more on the firepro than they would have on the quadro I asked for .. anyhow.. will download the latest drivers tomorrow and see if that helps..

Thanks for the suggestion.

...check make sure you are up to date woh your .net framework

Will this "hurt"? -> Probably not.

Will this "help"? -> Probably not.

The Mastercam install verifies that any prerequisites it needs are on the system during the install.

So unless you've removed some .NET Framework stuff from you system after installing Mastercam, this probably will not make any difference.

I'd go with Aaron's suggestion, as Video Drivers (especially ones installed via a Windows Update!) can cause all sorts of weird issues.

• 1 month later...

So im struggling with the Exact same issue you are. Have you found a solution?

We are finding X7 is crashing a lot! The crash issue doesnt seem to be file specific and i cant figure out what is causing it. We are running X7 SP2 and Verisurf X7 7-15-2013.

I did however have X6 installed when i installed X7, and after X7 was installed and working i un-installed X6. Could this have removed something that X7 needed to run?

Im currently re-downloading Mastercam X7, going to remove my current copy and clean the registry and see if it helps.

If anyone else has figured out the cause of this crash you would save me quite the headache!!

Thanks for the update, Djstedman!

There's been a few times I've gotten bit when I mindlessly click "install updates and reboot" to windows' prompt, only to wonder why (a week later) things are running poorly. When I check my video drivers, I have to scratch my head and figure out why my drivers are two years old, when my card is less than one...

I had what I think is this exact same issue -- my system has both a graphics card and onboard graphics, and issue was my system trying to switch back and forth. apparently it does this to save battery life/power usage. I went into my video card settings and forced it to use the card for 3D graphics, worked like a charm.

HTH