Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X7 as my default for opening import files (.stp. dxf etc.)

jeremy7440

I'm running X7 on a Windows 7, 64 bit system. Windows would let me set X5 as my default, but when I upgraded to X6, I could never get windows to associate import files with X6. I tried uninstalling X5, but windows still wouldn't associate to X6. Now I'm moving to X7 and that won't work either. I have gone through everyway I can think of to get X7 as the default, but Windows seems to ignore anything I try. Has anyone else had this issue? Any solutions?

Thanks

Jeremy

When I right click, I can choose "open with". That brings me to a list of programs...but X7 isn't one of them. So, I select "Browse". That opens and explorer window. I go to progam files/mcamx7/Mastercam.exe. I click the checkmark to make the selection and windows brings me right back to the list it wanted me to choose from originally. Windows completely ignores my selection. I've tried going through the properties of a downloaded file, to change the association, and it does the same thing.

I'm running X7 on a Windows 7, 64 bit system. Windows would let me set X5 as my default, but when I upgraded to X6, I could never get windows to associate import files with X6. I tried uninstalling X5, but windows still wouldn't associate to X6. Now I'm moving to X7 and that won't work either. I have gone through everyway I can think of to get X7 as the default, but Windows seems to ignore anything I try. Has anyone else had this issue? Any solutions?

Thanks

Jeremy

Did you try to change it here?

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations

• Like 1

Did you try to change it here?

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations

I had not tried this route. I still get the same result. I tried to set the associations for .dxf, Igs, and .stp. I still get the same result. Windows seems to ignore my selection.

I did verify that I have full control to make these changes. I was doing some searching and I came across this little utility:

http://defaultprogramseditor.com/

Download at your own risk, but it worked for me. It is a little tedious because you have to go individually to each extension you want to change and pick a program to use, but it seems to have worked.

I am no expert in WinDoze, but I suspect...

The executable file name is exactly the same in each version of MasterCam (mastercam.exe). WinDoze says 'Oh, I know where that file is' and executes the X5 version since that was the first registered version of mastercam.exe.

This is probably retained in WinDoze registry, and would need to be removed to break?

Which brings the question: Why can't MasterCam include the version in the executable name? (mastercam7.exe)

The executable file name is exactly the same in each version of MasterCam (mastercam.exe). WinDoze says 'Oh, I know where that file is' and executes the X5 version since that was the first registered version of mastercam.exe.

This is probably retained in WinDoze registry, and would need to be removed to break?

Which brings the question: Why can't MasterCam include the version in the executable name? (mastercam7.exe)

I bet you are correct. Could you just rename the .exe file to mastercam7.exe?

I agree 100% :)

Another option is use the "Send To" Rightclick menu

To get to the SendTo folder, you’ll need to open up an Explorer window, and then paste in the following to the address bar

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

Paste Shortucts for each application you want to use in that folder: Cimco, X6, X7, Notpad++, etc (You can also remove ones you don't use)

SendTo.png