Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Job Run Time

tonyb

I will try to back this my last question for a while. I have been picking your brains a lot lately. Does anyone know how to get a more acurate time a part will take to machine? When I run the Post processor for a small simple aluminum part it tells me it will take 2 hours. For the heck of it i put the feed down to 1 and then up to 300 and i still got the same result plus or minus a couple minutes. Also does anyone know where to get a good feed and speed calculator? I have owned a laser and Waterjet machining company for the past 5 years. Now I am looking to pick up a couple VMC's. Before that I was programing VMC's at another company and we were running mastercam version 6, so I am trying to get back into the swing of things. I enrolled in a local college to refresh my memory but it is just going way too slow. Any help would be great.

TonyB,

a couple of things to check that will increase the feedrate outrageously:

If you are using Dwell (G82), and you put a value of 1.0 in Mcam, I find my post processor will output a value of 1000 in the .NC code. This increases the cycle time estimate (and the cycle time!).

Check in Job Setup that you if you have "adjust feedrate on arc move" it is not set a a really low number (I think .1 is the default?). This will increase the cycle time estimate.

If you are getting the cycle time at the bottom of the screen after you backplot, make sure that you are not "stepping" through the backplot (Under Display options while in the backplot menu). You want to have it set to endpoints for a more accurate time.

If I am stating the obvious here I apologize, but each one of these has caused me to have a double take at my estimated cycle time.

Tony,

Welcome to the forum.

We are all here to help each other,so stop worrying about how much you "pick our brains".

Try this site

www.cutdata.com

I have bought this disc ($500.00) worth every penny,and yes it is in standard inches.

You can have a try at it on the site.

They have a few samples you can try.

The disc has soo many mtls. and all kinds of machining techniques (mill,drill,broach,tap,ect...)

good luck wink.gif

Tonyb, try running a set-up sheet and see if you get better times.

I use Mill.set for my set-up sheets because I can modify the processor to output the information I want.

In the Operations Manager, select the Operations Group you want to include in the Set-up sheet.

With the mouse pointer in the Operations Window, press the right mouse button.

In the pop-up menu select Options – Set-up Sheet.

Follow the prompts to finish the set-up sheet

Under job-setup, under "feed calculation" you need to check "Material".

You can also define different tools (even though they may be the same size), you could have a 1/2 HSS E/M, or a 1/2 Carbide E/M, and they will give you different feeds/speeds. Under the tool definitions, you can select what material the tool is, and under the material definitions you can set percentages of your SFM for different tool materials.