Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X7 Tool Manager

Hondarosa1

Hello Everyone- Been lurking for a bit, haven't posted in a while.

I'm curious how many of you are using the new Tool Manager with success? I was just trying it out today and it seems to crash quite a bit. If you don't take perfect sequential steps to build your tool, holder, assembly, it'll crash.

Anyone else having issues?

Is there a way to get the Mastercam holder libraries into Tool Manager?

Cheers

Hondarosa1

it has not crash yet but i can't claim the exact ways to creat custom tools yet. it gave me a different shape tool in the assembly. other than that it works fine. i am not understand about iso 13399. Mastercam don't have much to read about. may be some one can tell me otherwise.

If you are creating a tool from a DXF file, the DXF you are importing the geometry from must conform to ISO1339

If you are creating a custom tool from Mastercam geometry, then the old rules apply (Vertical tool in the X+,Y+ quadrant)

ISO 13399 in a nut shell....

1) The tool must be oriented horizontally, totally on the Y+ side of the "Y" origin.

2) The holder, or "Non-cutting" portion of the tool must be on a level named "NOCUT" the level number is insignificant.

3) The cutting portion of the tool i.e. the chain that represents the flutes or insert, (All this chain has to be is a rectangle) must be on a level named "CUT".

4) The CUT and NOCUT boundaries must be closed boundaries and at minimum must touch each other. They can overlap, but the CUT boundary cannot be totally within the NOCUT boundary.

If you open a DXF file from a tool vendor in Mastercam you will see all kinds of other information and geometry in the file.

This is O.K. as we search for the CUT and NOCUT levels.

So as far as ISO13399 is concerned you can create a valid tool with 2 rectangles on 2 levels named CUT and NOCUT.

I've been using it successfully, but yes, it does crash a lot. You can have multiple Tool Manager's open at once and drag-and-drop holders, tools, and assemblies between them. When you click-hold to drag, you get about a 60% or so chance of being able to move it. If you see a rectangle you've got it. If you see a "no" symbol, try again. Clicking on another tool and then back often seems to help. Development is aware of the problems and working on them.

Thanks Guys- I'm not creating custom tools, but thanks for the in depth description, I'm sure it'll come up. It took me almost an hour just to create 6 standard tools and holder/assembly combinations.... Crashed probably 7 times. The little "box" did show up a couple times, but not consistently and I never saw "no".

I was trying to expand the columns on the "tool" tab in between "name" and "diameter, when all of a sudden the column shrinks and I mysteriously have 2 copied tools....

Similar experience with the Face mill deal. When using it with backplot it's got this ghost like tip below the tool, but in Mach Sim it looks o.k.

There also seems to be issues with editing a tool in MasterCam after it's been created in "ToolManager". I was trying change the diameter of a facemill in MC using edit tool, but the diameter wouldn't stay.

I'm still curious if you can access any of the holder libraries within "ToolManager" or does every holder need to be created ?

Sincerely frustrated with this and MachSim...

Hondarosa

How to import your old holders in the Tool Manager:

1. Create a contour operation

2. Click "Open library" in "Holder" tab of operation

3. Browse your *.holders file

4. Click "Save library"

5. Select "Save as type" *.tooldb

6. Open this file with Tool manager

This manager is fabulous with new tool paths.

It is useless with old style operations like engraving where there is no holder management.

Good luck.

One thing to note with the new tool manager, you NEED to be patient. I know all you hotkey fiends just itch to hit keys, just relax, make deliberate keystrokes and DO NOT GET IN A HURRY!!!!!!!! that will help a bunch.

it crashes on me as soon as I try to create a tool, it is absolutely worthless for me.

If you are getting an error message that mentions target of an invocation or unable to cast object of type, then it is most likely due to a messed up netframework 4.0 installation. I have run into this twice now. Try a windows update first, be aware the netframework updates are under optional updates, not always under critical/important updates. In the two cases I ran into I had to uninstall netframework 4.0 and download/install again from microsoft's website. Make sure to re-start the computer after re-installing netframework 4.0 to get it to take effect.

If you are getting an error message that mentions target of an invocation or unable to cast object of type, then it is most likely due to a messed up netframework 4.0 installation. I have run into this twice now. Try a windows update first, be aware the netframework updates are under optional updates, not always under critical/important updates. In the two cases I ran into I had to uninstall netframework 4.0 and download/install again from microsoft's website. Make sure to re-start the computer after re-installing netframework 4.0 to get it to take effect.

I have done this several times as advised by my reseller and cnc software. I've un installed mc and re installed, nothing works.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...