Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Variable Pitch Auger Machining using 4th Axis

Mick

Hi there,

A local user is trying to machine a variable pitch auger on a rotary (A) axis. From what I can see, it needs to use a 5 axis toolpath with 4 axis outut. He's got no experience with 5 axis toolpaths, and I have very limited experience, so I gave it a go for him. However, I can't get a decent toolpath.

I'm sure its something I'm doing wrong, so would someone be able to have a look at the file and give me some feedback on how I should approach it?

The file is on the FTP in the MC9 folder, and is called VARIABLE-PITCH-AUGER-TOOLPATH.MC9

Cheers,

Mick

Well Mikc I will give a few pointers about this part since i have been down this very road. First thing is create a helical cahian that repsent the outside of the surface as a complete sweep. The next thing you will want ot do it create a surface from that chain. The next thing you will want to do is use multiaxis toolpath like you have but flow5ax with 4th axis as the control. I dont recommend using soilds as the control here cause it seems to get funky of helical paths when trying to make soilds unless you over make them and trim that back a real pian in the but. I just gave you this quick cuase it is going to take me about 2 hours to do all of this I will mess with it toinhgt at home and put soemthing up for you to look at. I wanted to try to point you in a direction to get started dont know how quick you may need to get this done.

Side note we use to make these thing all the time. I have a company make all my flights for me then we would weld them on and turn the od after. Just a thought I will look for the contact info if you want me to.

Crazy millman

[ 09-23-2003, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Millman^Crazy ]

Jay It looks good but could you post some code from that and look at the Z Value. I dont understand why Z needed to move up and down like that. I found that if you did it the way I was talking about before then z stay constant is why I was saying to do it that way.

If I am off base here then please point me in the right direction.Again very cool toolpath.

Crazy Millman

The Z move you are seeing is his geo that needs to cleaned up and the ajoining instersections were the part was joined in segments..

Fix this and the path will be clean.

But the idea was to show a refrence on how to get the tool to work using the upper and lower exsiting rails.

No need to make surface's.Also with this path the option of multy depths and radial cuts are avalable.

Oh by the way I was not saying that your way would not work or putting you down,Like I tell my students there are alwas more then one way to get it done in MC.

Thanks vary much for your input Millman..

Oh I didnt take it the wrong way just I have taken a clean solid and done the same thing and still get the same results with the Z moving up and down. I still have the File MILLMANSCREWED.ZIP on the FTP as reference. I was advised by my dealer to get the end difference out by doing it out of surfaces when I did it gave me only one Z move verse the mulit.

Crazy Millman

I didn't take it the wrong way Jay not at all.

I have taken a clean solid and done this very thing and got the same results. The file is still up on the FTP as MILLMANSCREWED.ZIP of course noone stepped in to help me on that one. I was advised by my dealer to use surfaces of the ends to clean up the model and it keep the z constant.

Crazy Millman

Just for kicks create a helical sweep solid and see how it starts and ends for you. I have not had good results on 3 different computers.

Hi Mick,

This is a 4-axis toolpath. Use ROLLDIE.DLL. Unroll the geometry and float an arc between the first and last points. UNROLL breaks data at each revolution, so you have to translate one end x-number of turns in Y.

Use ROLLDIE on the UNROLLED arc, but you may have to BREAK INTO MANY.

In general, variable pitches are best done in the flat with either an arc or SPLINE-BLEND.

See VRAUGER.MC9 in Tech Support from Mastercam.

Thanks for all the replies. I apologised for not responding sooner, but I've been in bed for the last two days with a bad case of the flu :/

I'll grab the examples and look at them first thing in the morning, as its late here, and I really need more sleep.

I'll post some feedback after I've looked at these files.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Mick

quote:

See VRAUGER.MC9 in Tech Support from Mastercam.

John, Looked in tech support but couldnt find this file. could you e-mail it to me? or explain where to find it. I have to quote a 2 flute and 3 flute auger with a fixed pitch. solidworks files. I have to maintain +/- .001 on the auger profile. they are 50mm long with a 25mm pitch. some have a flat minor dia.

Er, I assume both the files mentioned (the one from Jay and the one from John) are both on Jays FTP (which is down atm?) and they aren't on the temp one?

If so, both John and Jay, would it be possible to email those files to me? I'd really like them by the weekend if at all possible smile.gif

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks Jay...I got up, as the wind is howling outside, and I couldn't sleep...

I've been sitting here watching the board smile.gif

Cheers,

Mick

PS: Was John talking about your FTP, when he said "Under Tech Support from Mastercam"? Or the Mastercam FTP site? Though, is that still going?