Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

english to metric for single point threading

BrianP.

Question about single point threading. We are doing a job in a Haas ST10 lathe. This job has a fine pitch metric thread but is programmed in inch. My question is can you change to metric for just doing the thread and then back to inch? G21 before threading block and then G20 after? Just before the G76 line? Anyone ever do this and is it possible? Thanks

Why would you need to change it to metric at all? Just curious.

The guy here was thinking that a .5mm pitch is .019685 so he rounds it to .0197 and that could be an issue. I do know that Haas setting 9 is there for metric or english. Was just wondering if you could change on the fly as described above with a G20 and G21.

Guest MTB Technical Services

You can do the switch to metric in the middle of a program.

Dangerous thing to do unless you check everything because your offsets are already in Inch.

The Haas should have no problem with 5 place decimals for the F address for the lead.

If it doesn't, program it as an expression F[0.5/25.4] and let the control handle the rounding.

Keep in mind that all CNCs today are using metric screws to begin with so all inch programming contains some inherent rounding.

Leave the G20 in your safety line. Add a G21 before your tap cycle. Feed in IPR. Put a G20 before your M30 change your z to something safe hit start. You will see if the thing is feeding at .500" ipr as opposed to the .0197" ipr. You can also watch your current commands to see if the G20 modal changes to G21 and then back just by watching the control screen.

Now you got me wondering next time my machine stops I am going to check myself.

Its actually a really good idea if it works since it will be one less calculation that will need to be made and it also puts the proper pitch that will be the same that is written on the Tap to help out operators. But the .00002 pitch error would never matter you would never be able to thread it deep enough to cause enough error.