Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

File Get From Network Drive

dgrapes

I have users after opening mastercam (this only happens on the first open) file get command and tries to browse a networked mapped drive for the file. Mastercam Mill ver 9 sp2 running with XP Pro sp1 will hang for ~ 45 seconds befor displaying folder contence. Is this a mastercam or windows xp issue.

dgrapes,

not sure if i understand what your asking.are tou trying to get a mc file from off of a server?if so i would think the hang up could possibly be in the cable (ie condition,length)going to the server.you could try to ping the remote ip address and see what sort of response rate you get. just stabbing at it here i would think the problem lies somewhere other than mc or your os.

just my .02

hth, trevor

also welcome to the forum,i'm sure someone will help you out if this does not cheers.gif

edit: dang you fellas are fast biggrin.gif

i was posting code in the background when i started this reply.as soon as i started to type my file popped up.i thought better get machine runnin then play later biggrin.gif trevor

[ 09-26-2003, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: TREV ]

dgrapes

I was told by our network guy here that this problem is caused by newer OS on your box having some kind of issue with older OS on your server. We were told to avoid network folders with large amounts of files so we now have nine million folders with <100 files in each to [supposedly] lessen what we call 'flashlight time'.

Don't know how true this is; but that's the story we got when we had this prob with Win 2k and XP

C

That happens here also, but it is best to have files on a network because of the security. IE (being able to salvage deleted files) that has saved me a few times. After the first file i bring in the speed is back where it should be again. I dont think that i have ever had to wait 45 seconds tho, maybe 10 seconds.

pete

Chris,

All of my .CDL (cadkey) files are in one folder. I erase each one after the .cdl is converted to a .mc9, so there is always about 30 or so files in that folder. That particular folder is on the server. It takes just as long for me to get to that folder as it soes to get to my .mc9 folder that has well over 9,000 files in it. So in my case (Novel..Netware)it has to do with the sever not MC. That isn't to say what you were told is wrong, but this is my experiance.

cheers.gif

Netware? It just so happens that one of the hats I wear is Ceritified Novell Engineer.

Microsoft dosn't work and play well with Netware. The problem is related to the MUP.SYS file, and the way it resolves network requests.

In this case, what is happening is that MUP.SYS is trying to resolve the netware server name over each installed protocol using each client. The call won't return until all of those protocols have either timed out to resolved the name. NetBT (i.e. the Microsoft client) can take as long as a minute to time out, even though the Netware client returns immideatly.

The simplest fix, if you do not have any Windows servers and don't do peer-to-peer with other Windows boxes, is to remove the Microsoft Network Client, leaving only Novell's client (note: don't use the Microsoft Client for Netware, as it is a steaming pile). If you have a mix of servers, or use the peer-to-peer features, there are some registry hacks you can use to change the default behavour of MUP.SYS. Try searching support.microsoft.com or support.novell.com for MUP.SYS and Netware and you should find something. If not, post a reply to this and I'll see what I can dig up. If you do need more help, please take a look at your network conneciton properties and tell me what protocols you have installed. The netware server version and the netware client version would be helpful too, if you have them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rick,

we have a similar problem here with two different customers. Both has problemns loading files (mostly import DXF on a Novell Networks). If they do it in v9.x it takes about 3 minutes to get the file. If they start Mastercam v8 on the same pC they get the file in secounds. So it must be a MC problem. With v9.1 it is a litle bit better, but there is still a big time different between v8 and v9. We have no idea at the moment whats wrong.

This happends only on Novell networks.

regards

Andreas