Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Iscar Multimaster Custom tool

scooke4073

I'm doing some deep pocketing so I need an accurate representation of the tool I'm using. I'm using a MM S-D-L130-C16-TO6-W-H (tapered shank multimaster). I grabbed a .dxf from Iscar and chopped it up to work. Then I just added the multimaster end I will be using and scaled everthing up until the shank was 1" from centerline (2" diameter) .

The problem I am having is that every time I select the file for the custom tool, it doesn't seem to scale correctly. If I go and adjust the tool diameter Mastercam crashes instantly. I tried importing the geometry and placing it on a level but still no dice. When Mastercam is scaling the tool, what is it looking at for tool diameter? In the case of something that is tapered shank would it be using the shank diameter?

I must be missing something simple.

T08 MULTIMASTER WITH .5 BULL2.MCX-7

Best bet is to draw the tool at the actual diameter it will be and not bother having it try and scale the tool.. although its supposed to be possible I know I have found the best luck with drawing the tool at 1:1 and using it like that. Its easier to draw and most times custom tools will only ever be one size anyhow.

I always draw custom tools to size and set the diameter in the tool definition

I've never seen good profiles that int he real world are simply scaled versions of larger or smaller tools, so I treat each custom as a 1 off

Try this file....

The first one I posted was my attempt at a scaled version.

I create a custom tool and the split second that I try to select a holder, it crashes.....every time. Start with a new file, create a quick line and contour it. Then create the custom tool, try to select a holder...and BAM!

I'm about to lose my mind.

T08 MULTIMASTER WITH .5 BULL.MCX-7

Have you shutdown the computer today and restarted it? I have found with any windows program not just Mastercam this seems to help.

I just did it and through it in a 30mb Opti-Core Toolpath I am working on with no problem. I see a .500 endmill in the tool library of your file. Are you doing it with a unspecified tool or a endmill using custom geometry?

Shawn - I just tried it over here and it worked, but note that I'm running MU1 Beta, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.. Since I'm hanging out in Kentucky with your fellow employees, I don't have easy access to an SP2 machine...

Either way, I tried creating the tool from level, which worked (first picture). I then isolated the tool and made a DXF from it, and built that in Tool Manager, which also worked (2nd picture).. You can try my DXF if you'd like.

post-12334-0-45469300-1381284617_thumb.png

post-12334-0-93961700-1381284622_thumb.png

T08 MULTIMASTER WITH .5 BULL.zip

Thanks Aaron. I'll give it another try. I think it might also have to do with my overall file size (about 80 mb).

To get the project moving I ended up just defining the multimaster shank as part of the tool holder. Basically I just wanted the ability for Optirest to prevent the shank from rubbing during deep pocketing......there's a hundred ways to skin a cat!