Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solidworks and MCam

Bill Henderson

I have in Solidworks 2012 a MastercamDirect tool.

I am using X6 solids....

One is Filesave

and one is Mastercam X

The file save creates a SFB file. (solidworks feature based file) and it saves it to the public Mcam folder. Have NO idea as to what to do with this file.

If I click on the Mastercam X it opens the file in Mastercam, however even if I click off the feature-less brick option the block comes in missing almost every feature.

I tried on a different file the other day and it was great. All of my C'Bore holes etc... came in as the tree in Solidworks for the most part.

This file is a simple fixture with drill, and C'bores and some pockets thru.

What gives?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bill,

The "MastercamDirect" functionality is somewhat limited in what types of SolidWorks features it can successfully bring into Mastercam. On some models you will have more success than others, and we will admit that. We know that some feature types (Domes, Ribs, to name just a couple) cannot be replicated by any Mastercam Solids feature, so the body will be turned into a featureless "brick" when we encounter a feature that we cannot handle at all.

You're correct in discovering that the .SFB file (which is a homegrown format for passing the feature data from SW -> MC) can be imported by the MastercamDirect C-Hook. That's essentially what's going on behind the scenes when running Mastercam Direct ... we gather the SW feature tree data, save it as an SFB, launch Mastercam, and run the MastercamDirect C-hook.

Since you're running both MC and SW, has your reseller pointed out toyou the advantages of using the Mastercam for SolidWorks product?

• 7 months later...

My reseller has said do not use the Mastercam for solidworks product. I am not sure why. We have just recently started using solidworks and are thinking of upgrading from X5 to X7 to take advantage of our 64 bit computers. I have received the demo version of X7 from my reseller, but we are still unable to import the solid tree.