Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

C-AXIS CROSS DRILLING

haroldm912

Hey guys, i am learning to program on our Haas Lathe with live tooling. When drilling a set of holes, as shown in the screen capture, my drill is not coming in on a perpendicuar path to the holes. The drill is tilted at an angle and im not sure exactly why?Basically the drill is not drilling straight. Any suggestions would be most appriciated. i know that cross drill is used for holes that are above or below the center line so it cant be that im using the wrong toolpath.

thanks again!

post-41191-0-79442400-1383251316_thumb.jpg

Well seeing how those holes would require a Y-Axis capable machine and not a C-axis yes I could see where it would not do what you expect since it is not possible to machine those features on a C-axis machine. They would need to be machined using a Mill-Toolpath and make sure the correct place is used for the view you want to machine it in.

HTH

Cross drill is an options, but I would think you would be limited to hole on the plane you started with and not around the part like you have chosen. Those types of holes need to be off center and that is where the Y axis capabilities or mill toolpath would be the better choice a toolpath IMHO. I have not idea what workbook you are talking about. I recommend you email them and ask them to provide you a sample file to help you get a better understanding of what is being taught to you.

Okay. Well books are great to learn from, but do not trap yourself to the idea that it has to be by the book. Thing about making parts is the creativity of the person making the program. Let the art of making the part come through in your work. Great you are learning I applaud you for learning. I would not approach a part like what and if they got it to work like that I would love to see the step by step so I could learn how to take something I see as not possible to be possible. My understanding of C-Axis Toolpaths is they must be machinable with C axis capabilities. Those features to me are not and that is where I cannot wrap my brain around what you have told me you were instructed to do.

Did you use solid geometry for the drilling?

Almost always better to create arc and use the wireframe instead. I have seen Tool plane issues related to solid geometry, had to work through QC on that one