Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Best method, not sure ?

rchipper

This part was programmed using generic geometry placed around the solid-303ss material. It worked a year ago for the person that did it but I am told it turned out to be a very costly part, broken tools and extended cycle time. I was wondering if this part would lend itself to the dynamic milling cycles. Would one of you experts like to teach a rookie something new ? I have little experience using dynamic milling and surface machining but I see how powerful it can be. I don't know if this is the best way to approach this part, your opinions would be very helpful. I have not rotated the part to the next positions yet as I wanted to know if this will even work.

Your opinions are always appreciated,

rchipper

Hello,

I was able to put in a little more time on this project. What I can't figure out is how to get the surface finish contour to clean up the top of the part. I am leaning quite a bit doing this but am stuck. Would someone mind taking a look and point me in the right direction?

Starting MastercamU this weekend, looking forward to it!

Thanks everyone.

-1,-2 TO FORUM 11-15-13.MCX-7

I don't have access to X7 but it sounds like your trying to cut shallow surfaces. If this is the case, Surface finish contour and Waterline behave the same way and are not suitable in these areas. These tool paths are based on step down and slice the model in Z steps to calculate the tool path so a shallow slope ends up having a wide step over. Best used with faces that are 30. to 90. deg. In a pinch you could change your step down then use depth limits to control the finish, using a deeper step down in a second tool path for the steeper faces. For horizontal faces, use HSM horizontal, SF Parallel, HSM raster or scallop. For shallow slopes or flat angular faces, use SF Parallel, HSM raster, HSM scallop, SF Flowline, SF Blend. Other options are available as well. Hard to advise without a picture though.