Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Spaceclaim 2014

Chris Rizzo

I've been using this to make solids out of STL's or repair bad models.

What's the biggest STL you guys have successfully throw at this?

Anything over 40MB loads, but it's sluggish as heck...

What is the best sequence to use the repair functions in?

i.e.

fix small gaps first

or

stich first

or

missing faces first????

Or does it not matter?

It depends on the model.. Solidworks does better with some, SpaceClaim does better with others.

I get some ProE based models of huge castings for the Navy.

SolidWorks, Mastercam, NX5, and Catia v5 R19 all choke on them.

Spaceclaim opens them as watertight solids with no issues

The solid generated from a point cloud is very large and not pretty. I use the mesh from a cloud as a guideline for constructing a 'clean' solid. It is relatively fast, and is much easier to deal with for programming and verification.

I have taken 100MB scan data and tried to convert to solid with SpaceClaim on a Friday afternoon, only to have a crashed computer on Monday morning. I am running 24GB of ram, and SpaceClaim uses ALL of it when converting solids.... for a long, long time. This is why you will not find a video of mesh conversion.

Thanks, Chris.

That video does actually show a lot more than the one I saw before and it does sure looks a heck of a lot easier than solidworks.

EX-WCC, that's the way I go to but was just wondering if you still had to do intersecting curves and such. Looks like the integration with GeoMagic it's working off a lot better at least for common shapes recognition and moving/aligning your mesh to the axes.

Thanks for the feedback!