Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis curve?

JMahon

Hello all,

I am trying to do a 5 axis curve to run the corner of an endmill along the channels to cut these rasps, but am having trouble getting my tool to do what I want it to. I am still new to multiaxis toolpaths so bear with me lol. I figured this would be the best and easiest way to do this. Any ideas? I have a lot to program so the easier the better! In the past the company I work for has just surfaced them with decent results, it just takes about 4 hours per part!! Thanks, Jon

SAMPLE.MCX-7

When I look at it under the operations manager, it says swarf milling. But when I open the parameters, it gives that message and comes up as a parallel cuts toolpath...?

It also doesn't let me view the geometry.

I see you untrimmed the surfaces for the walls, but what about compensation surfaces?

Hi there,

- I thought i would try and contribute something after learning from everyone else.

I looked at both solutions and combined them -

• I made a 3-pt arc across the base of the teeth for the bottom rail
  • Multi-axis >> Tool Box >> Swarf Milling >
    • Wall Surface - Picked the faces with the solid selection and face highlighted
    • Bottom Rail - picked the arc at the base of the faces.

I'm new to the tool path but it looked liked it worked. You might have to play with linking to keep the tool down in the areas with slots and getting it to feed into and out of the part.

Seemed pretty quick to me.

Merry Christmas,

Dan

I looked at the file and thought I would do it with a full profile custom tool. Another thought was curve 5 axis where you could spin the tool and do each tooth as a pass. Another thought was stand on it side again with a custom Made tool with the root and top in the profile done in one shot. Use do something like this for another company with a 8" dia x 12" long cutter. Since cutting this will take a lot of time, profile cut in one pass and done I think would be your quickest and cheaper way to machine this part. Can do it all day long with 5 axis, but I wonder why you are stuck on that process?

I thought about a custom profile tool but with 10 different profiles and only 6 parts per profile, boss man doesn't wanna shell out that money. Maybe for production runs. How were burrs when you did the similar part? Tiny burrs are usually our main problem when machining these parts. They only get very light glass bead for finishing.

Burrs are just like anything when you overlap you create the burr. Rough leaving .005 then come back and finish with .005 and would be a lot less burr. What would a tool cost you? You said 29 more to program are none of them similar where tools would cover some of the other ones? Can you make that suggestion to the customer? What is your programming time per part going to be making all 5 axis toolpaths? Profile cut and done. Index 90 degree profile cut and done. 5 axis toolpaths and time to run said 5 axis toolpaths where will you come out ahead?