Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solids Fillet Problems!

TeccBoxx

I am designing a handle for a Cane/Walking stick and I am having problems using the Solids fillet command. Basically I keep getting blend errors and a few odd other errors.

I uploaded the file name canehandle in the mc9 folder. I was wondering if someone could look at and give me a few suggestions on getting every edge filleted. Also right now they all have a .25" radius however I actually need a .30" radius. Any suggestions or tips that you can give would greatly be appreciated.

cheers.gif

Well I would look at putting my blends in line with my vertical lines and stwying away from the small lands. I dont care whcih program you use will will give you a fit trying to do what you are trying to do. I have done like a top half of a part where i have swwep a raduis around the perimeter of a part to then subract that made solid to create radius but it takes some work. I could also suggest you try varabile radius and see if you cant put some mid point or some control points real close so you get as much of the .3 raduis around your original design.

I will play with what you got and send back what I get so you can take a look I will do it three different ways do you can see exactly what I am thinking will work.

Crazy Millman

Some of the fillets will just be plain impossible to do in solids on some parts unless they are built a certain way.

It's easier to finish the fillets up on the model with surface/fillet........fill in gaps with Coons and 2 Surface Blends.

You can then stich the surfaces back into a solid if you need a solid model.

Murlin

You have a really choopy model as well as a a bunch of arc and line and things all on top of each other. I also do not have the cutting geomentry to repeat the cut planes you did. I did clean up your goemntry to take out the sharp trnasition and make them more sharp. I recommend you also do a fillet on the sharp cuts on the face before doing the edge fillets that helps alot also when doing soemthing like this. I will put up what I came up with the Base soild make a little cleaner and go from there and see if that will get you where you want. I have it on layer 2 so when you do file/merge then it will be seperate from the original.

If that doesnt help emial me the complete file and i can problay help you some more from there but this is not a easy part that is for sure.

The files is called CRAZYCANE in the MC9 folder.

Crazy Millman

[ 10-07-2003, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: Millman^Crazy ]

Crazy, I couldn't get any solids to come thru when I downloaded your file crazycane.

I made a sloppy surface model with fillets with surfaces that will prol machine if you want to take a look at crazycanea.

It cant be stitched the way it is because it is sloppy.

Murlin teh time to go to work smile.gif

I didnt do any soilds I only did a cleaned up wireframe of his original wireframe I didnt have any of the cutting plane information in the file that was up on the WEB site so I just sent that back in the hope that could work better for his model constuction. I was kinda stuck and didnt really have time to guess what he was shooting for is all.

Crazy Millman

You da man Leehound cheers.gif

I always liked that approach better anyways...Make the part and change the print to the match part biggrin.gif

I wish I could get away with that sometimes wink.gif

Most of the stuff I do, I don't have any engineering leeway....but I guess we aren't building swiss precision cane handles here rolleyes.gif

Murlin teh always a workaround

Simply amazing guys thanks a bunch for the work you put in on this. I really appreciate it. I guess I need to take a little more time cleaning up my drawing and look ahead before doing all the other features.

Thanks a bunch and if you guys come to pueblo co. look me up and I'll buy a 12-pack for you.

Thanks a bunch

cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Something I teach in my Advanced Mastercam class is that it is better to draw all of your geometry sharp, then add fillets later. This allows for better transitions and no strange edges appear mysteriously. Also, when filleting go from largest to smalles when dealing with multiple fillets blending into each other.

JM2C