Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Can I run X2 on Windows 7 32 bit?

Larry Callahan

I know it's not officialy supported but we are still running X2 SP1 and some other software that I currently run in XP. My PC has gone belly up and I need to order a new one. I also need to figure out if the NVIDIA Quadro 2000 D will work in it.

Anyone have a clue if this will work or have any tips? I did some searching here but didn't have much luck.

Thank you!

Speedfast. Cimco will do that and comes with that Version if memory serves me correct. If not you can go to the Cimco website and download it. V9 on Win 7 good luck I have seen it doen ,but was not pretty.

I looked into Cimco and because we use this switch to connect to the machines I can't make it work.

https://www.wti.com/p-101-afs-16-1-rj45-data-fallback-switch.aspx

What version are you running? We have SP1. Are you perhaps running MR2 and that's why it works?

That could be the reason. I am running MR2. I just went through the normal installation routine, I don't think I did anything special. It is possible that SP1 won't work on Win 7, but I'm not sure.

For Version 9, I run Windows Virtual PC -> Windows XP Mode.

That let's me use Version 9 on my Win 7 64 bit computer, but I have not tried using it to communicate. I think you should still be able to run the Mastercam Communications, but I'm not sure what hoops you would have to jump through.

I'm making progress. Thanks everyone for the help.

I picked up a Windows 7 64 bit Pro machine and X2 SP1 works great. I didn't do anything but install it. No compatability mode changes or anything.

V9.1 is the issue now. It installs and loads but can't find the hasp. I tired newer hasp programs to update it and no luck.

Are there newer drivers I should install?

Speedfast that was why you had to run compatibility mode was the HASP never worked on Win 7 for anyone I know for V9.1 again there are many programs that I am sure will communicate with your machine, but that is not really the whole story I think. I suspect you still do a lot of programming in V9 and why you really need V9 to work.

Yes Speedfast I understand you for X2 working, but you keep trying to lump the 2 together and not going to happen. Like was mentioned before cut the stings from V9 and find something that will work with today's computers to communicate. People work with a lot older machines than yours all the time and they do not do it trying to use 14 year old software.

Yes Speedfast I understand you for X2 working, but you keep trying to lump the 2 together and not going to happen. Like was mentioned before cut the stings from V9 and find something that will work with today's computers to communicate. People work with a lot older machines than yours all the time and they do not do it trying to use 14 year old software.

I wish I had the option to upgrade but I don't. So, I'm forced to use what I have.

As I mentioned, you should be able to run V9 with Windows XP Mode. In the bar at the top of the screen, you'll see an option for "USB". Use the options in this menu to "attach" the HASP. That will let you run V9.

For communications, you'll need to set the COM port properties. In XP Mode, do the following:

Use the XP Mode "Start" menu, and access the Control Panel.

In the Control Panel, double-click on "System". Go to the "Hardware" tab, and click on the button for "Device Manager". When the dialog comes up, open the "Ports" section in the tree, and double-click on "Communications Port (COM1)".

Click on the "Port Settings" tab, and then select "Advanced". Disable the checkbox for "Use FIFO buffers (requires 16550 compatible UART)".

Once you've disabled the FIFO buffers, then set the rest of the com port properties (baud rate, stop bits, parity, ect.)

Hope that helps,

Colin

post-14313-0-43980800-1392404977_thumb.png

As I mentioned, you should be able to run V9 with Windows XP Mode. In the bar at the top of the screen, you'll see an option for "USB". Use the options in this menu to "attach" the HASP. That will let you run V9.

For communications, you'll need to set the COM port properties. In XP Mode, do the following:

Use the XP Mode "Start" menu, and access the Control Panel.

In the Control Panel, double-click on "System". Go to the "Hardware" tab, and click on the button for "Device Manager". When the dialog comes up, open the "Ports" section in the tree, and double-click on "Communications Port (COM1)".

Click on the "Port Settings" tab, and then select "Advanced". Disable the checkbox for "Use FIFO buffers (requires 16550 compatible UART)".

Once you've disabled the FIFO buffers, then set the rest of the com port properties (baud rate, stop bits, parity, ect.)

Hope that helps,

Colin

Thanks! Is that running it in XP compatibility mode or running it in the virtual XP mode?

We need to use the terminal in it to enter in a code to connect to the machine you want to communicate with. I'm sure I could find another way to do it but that doesn't solve the issue of the other people in the building still using V9.1 full time. Eventually we will need to replace the other computers and will need to solve it. Sure upgrading would be the best option but I don't have that option.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Eventually we will need to replace the other computers and will need to solve it. Sure upgrading would be the best option but I don't have that option.

Sorry, but when are they going to close the doors of your business? All those programmers already have their resumes out at other places? What you spell out is a place I would never recommend any work or even think about heading too. People who did it like they use to 20 years ago for the most part have closed their doors and not having the Latest software be it Mastercam or anyone else is hurting your manufacturing abilities. We are cutting parts at anywhere from 30% to 70% faster just which some changes in toolpaths. Ability to work with other CAD files and such is also hurting the companies abilities to do outside work. Hopefully you company is the one that figured out how to make a Golden Goose and everyone is just here to say they have a job. Sorry I come across real harsh, but been around and what you spell out is activity for door closing.

You may have been around but you obviously don't know us. Think what you will but we have a lot of very talented people here and we are as busy as we have ever been turning out a great product at a good price.

It's posts just like this that have nothing to do with my question that turn me and so many others away from forums. Ask for ideas and get slammed.