Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Feature Based Machining

Incogneeto

From all my training and usage of it, I found it's great if you just want to1, throw a program at the machine and let'er rip, not really concerned about efficiency, it'll make a part or you have a family of parts

I have never found a use in a "job shop" environment where every part is different and they are constantly changing

I am of the opinion, if they dropped this feature tomorrow, no one would miss it

I've tried it twice. And some feature it picks up and some not. And the way it picks the preferred tooling is odd. Even though it has a 1/2 e-mill it will pick a 1/4 e-mill and take twice the time. At this point they don't even offer a class or explain the benefits anywhere I have searched. Would be great for R and D if your library was preloaded and you just let it scan and go. Do you know of any way to suppress or actually guide it to make the best choices?

• 2 weeks later...

I've used it quite a few times. My main reason was large parts with multiple size holes. I used to hit the FB drilling to get the proper sizes. Sometimes there was a hole that was .8125 and then another at say .875. Hard to see when zoomed out (large part). This ensured I got the proper size. Otherwise never use it for anything else.

• 2 weeks later...