Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

stock model vs stl on bigger programs?

Gary

I personally use the STL's now that they improved the triangle count so that the files are not so large. I was using the Stock Model but for me it is much faster to use the STL's. A lot of the work I do is all surfacing and it takes too long for Stock Model to gen. Most of the parts we do are 100" long x 40" wide or larger. For me it is faster to use the STL's especially if I have to go back and make a change on a large toolpath, then I have to wait for a long time for Stock Model to regen. If you need to have real good clarity and accuracy though stick with the Stock Model.

Last few Large programs I did, I used a stock model that referenced an STL. This gave me the handy model in the Op manager, but i didn't have to deal with the regeneration time if I changed a minor setting in one of the operations that the Stock Model would have referanced.

I love stock model, but the regeneration time is slow on large/detailed paths. Much better in X7 than X6 but still has some shortcomings.

I have changed my whole work process with X7.

My process for programming parts with regards to Verify for parts that require milling from 3 axis to 5 axis.

#1 Make my operation group.

#2 I make my solid stock.(If a casting or other operations I use a STL)

#3 I make my stock model from Solid Stock, If it is a casting or other operations I use a STL file.

#4 I make my operations for machining the part for that operation.

#5 I repeat the above steps as many times are needed to make the program.

Exception to this might be tooling or fixtures, but if they are being made on the same machine they go right into the mix of operations.

I am so happy I can leave verify up and verify operations as I make them and see what there impact is on the part I am making programs for.

I agree the regen times on Stock Model takes to much time. Quicker just to verfiy and save as STL at this point. Hopefully it gets improved.

Since X6, my very first operation is a Stock Model (referencing Stock setup/solid/stl if casting).

I do this even on simple programs, just to be able to toggle stock on/off without having to go into Machine Group Properties

I have also start using stock model in most of my rest roughing operation. When it works it is a nice feature but I still have problems with it that I havent figured out. Problems usually start when I create a stock model from previous stock model and some operations, I might get stock model operation with red X over it or model that does not include all the operations I´ve put in to create it. Sometimes Ram saver works to fix this or I have to delete the stock model and create it again.

I also use stock model to create casting stock over the part quickly. What I would like to see is option to add stock only selected surfaces not the whole part.

• Like 1