Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

(o/t) Heart Surface Model ?

Chris Rizzo

Ok, I am COMPLETLY obsessed with my little project here. I downloaded the trial version of Rhino, (and it's a very slick program). Opened my .stl with it, oriented and scaled, then "draped" a surface over it...saved as both a parasolid and an IGES, and opened both pretty darn good in Mastercam. However do to my limited surfacing experience, I'm not real sure what's happening now....

Each file is pretty darn large (9mb), but is comprised of just one (1) solid. Alternatly using IGES format, it's just one NURBS surface. I can't even run a simple 2-d contour around the thing without either Mastercam hanging, or giving me "invalid memory allocation" error. I've got 1 gig of ram, with half of it allocated to Mcam...is the surface that complicated, being derrived from a .stl? or something else?

For all of those who were interested in the image, (and anyone else, for that matter), it's on the ftp as "superheart.zip" . I need to step away from this for a bit, and get some paying work done tomorrow! Good leaning though. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Hi ,all!

Speaking about Heart wireframe model model .

I would be building it such a way :

load one level like AORTA

sELECT NEW ACTVE MAIN LEVEL SPLINE POINTS

Create points slice by z plane z something

If need delete some inner points

Create spline automatic

proceed to next z (resolution must be reasonable !)

After making all splines I` ll breake them with constant x to make start point in the same place

and create surface loft

Or solid loft

It will give a good result but will take time !

CMR can I give you soem ideas on Machining this heart. Get you some 2lb foam or some Modlin 210 foam and make you a bounding box around the part.I would then do an offset of that atleast the cutter and .05 the distacne. I would have the material at least 1" bigger than that to give it some meat. I would then do a surface rough pocket using the solid or surfaces as drive and the bigger box as the bounding box and insdie as the control. I would then do a surface/finish/scallop possbile to finish it.

The files size you have is ok but nothing really big I have had some upwards 120 mb for just the model. If it giving you trouble do an anazle of the model and check to see it is good. It solids still gives you trouble create surfaces from solid on a seprate layer and then do a another mdoel hceck of just that and use .0005 ar a roleracne check and go from there that might help.

Well if you get stuck let me know I will be more than glad to take a look and see if I can give you different idea how ot apporach it.

Crazy Millman

Ha!

quote:

Get you some 2lb foam

I just was down in the shop running my program on some old 10lb foam, probably just as you were posting!

Thanks for the tips. I ran some parallel rough toolpaths with a .250 ball, then finish parallel with a .250 tool, then finish with a .125 tool, then a .0625. All the while decreasing my stock to leave.

Worked pretty good, however the .125 tool got a bit buried in some tight spots that the .250 did'nt hit. I've been playing with some roughing restmill paths using the .125, trying to get some of the stock out that the .250 left. THEN going to some finish passes with the .125. Make sense? Any other secondary roughing passes recommended?

Running the parallel surface paths "across" the shape, and setting the filter at 1:2, I am getting some beautiful arc moves.. biggrin.gif

I'm just experimenting with this project learning these surfaces moves, luckily I can play on a machine at night. thx

Thats cool CMR I might d othe same part this weeks end out of soem 450 Ren Shape expect I think I will d oa .002 finish pass. with a 1/8 Ball.

Another little trick after you get it all roughed in and you want to really get all the crisp details use a falt endmill and scallop toolpath with a .003 to .005 stepover and run it think you will be suprised how well that foam will look after it.

Crazy Millman