Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition

gcode

My company got bit by a virus yesterday.

Today they've installed Norton AntiVirus

Corporate Edtion on all our boxes. Mastercam

file open is much slower now.

It is configured with default settings.

Can anyone suggest settings that will give

adequate protection without degrading MC's performance??

A default install of NAV CE shouldn't slow your system down, but if hueristics is enabled, try setting it to the default or lower setting. Cranking it up will eat up CPU cycles because it'll check each file access like a drug-sniffing dog in an airport. Perhaps excluding the scan of the swap/page file would help too. Of course, setting NAV to exclude scanning MC9 files should take care of it, but then you wouldn't be protected. I've never heard of any virii that like to hide in MCx files, but I'm sure it can be done.

Gcode,

All I can suggest is playing with the 'File System Real Time Protection' settings. There are a bunch of them, and you'll need to gauge for yourself what balance between virus protection and file access times.

I usually disable the real time protection when copying a ton of files around the network, otherwise it would take forever.

quote:

A default install of NAV CE shouldn't slow your system down, but if hueristics is enabled, try setting it to the default or lower setting. Cranking it up will eat up CPU cycles because it'll check each file access like a drug-sniffing dog in an airport.

Actually, the default install of our NAV CE does check each file access, and does slow things down a little.

quote:

Actually, the default install of our NAV CE does check each file access, and does slow things down a little.

Regarding NAV CE, "default install" can mean different things. Because NAV CE can be remotely managed (there's no point to use CE if it won't be managed), the install that the user sees may be the result of what the administrator deemed "default" during the roll-out.

quote:

Regarding NAV CE, "default install" can mean different things. Because NAV CE can be remotely managed (there's no point to use CE if it won't be managed), the install that the user sees may be the result of what the administrator deemed "default" during the roll-out.

I am the administrator. biggrin.gif

It's a small handful of computers and they all self-download the updates timed to the release of updates by symantec.. No real neccessity to remotely manage them.