Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Does removing older versions cause problems?

Dontech

Hi guys. I've posted before about my shop's various Mastercam version woes, and I'm glad to say that we've finally begun to turn the corner and are now within sight of the modern age...Mastercam X7. :)

Just to recap, we've been using Mastercam X MR2 since sometime in '06 or '07, so it's been awhile. We had convinced the company to upgrade to X2 when it came out but shortly thereafter they (my company) decided to stop paying for support, so we never really got X2 working right and just stuck with X-MR2..and have been there ever since, up until about a year ago when they finally splurged on the Shop again and bought the upgrade to X6, which I installed a year ago. In the time since then they also bought X7, which I haven't installed yet. I'll get around to that in due course. In the meantime, I've got a new assistant now and I've been training him on X MR2, which he is picking up better than I'd hoped so far. As he's gotten more comfortable, I've finally begun playing around with X6 and so far, so good. As soon as I am comfortable with it, I'm going to bring my assistant in on it...and eventually we'll both be able to move on to X7 and learn it together.

When we reach the point where he and I are both using x6 exclusively, I'd like to get rid of both X MR2 and X2 entirely to recover some HDD space. Would doing so cause any problems with X6?

Rob.

Shouldn't cause any problems for you I don't think. I always do comparison's between versions just to make sure the post is working the way you expect it too with the newer software. Sometimes when updating the post files, things can change and the resulting code can cause issues. So I have a folder with some files I use and I'll post them out in both versions and then do a comparison. If everything looks good then it should be safe to uninstall the previous version.

I dump old versions every time there is a new version. (I never have more than 2 versions on my system at any time - currently X7 and X8 are on here). Becvause I run Beta Software, I have to install, uninstall, re-install multiple times over the course of the Beta Cycle. No issues as far as I can tell.

Well, I dumped all of our legacy stuff...X2 and Mastercam 9 (which was also still taking up space in the HDD) but I'm going to hang on to X-MR2 for now. Everything X6-related seems to be working just fine. Oddly, I even find all this file management somewhat satisfying, as I am correcting a lot of egregious file storage sins from years past and streamlining everything. We've had multiple hands in the Mastercam cookie jar over the years, and the amount of "Copy of copy of copy of blahblahblah.MMD" that was stored in our hard drives taking up space and causing issues was just UNREAL. Thankfully, all of that is in the past now. Time to move on and get back to prgramming headache-free. Well, relatively free, anyway. ;)

Thanks again for the input, guys.

Rob.