Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Exporting Machine and tool path groups

guitar

I haven't upgraded to x7 yet so I can't check out your file, but, try this...

delete all geometry from the mcx file with the toolpaths in it and save as ROLL TAP OPS.OPERATIONS-7 (you will have to select "all file types" from the drop down list)

save it in the directory C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared Mcamx7\mill\Ops , or \lathe\Ops if you are using lathe

Now, when you import the toolpaths, click the folder at the top, pick ROLL TAP OPS, and select the toolpaths you want to import.

This will not import the machine, but all of your toolpath groups will be in there.

HTH

Thank you for the info. However, I wish to keep the geometry. I spend alot of time creating geometry for each tap/drill/chamfer op.

BTW...This file has all drilling, spotting/chamfering, and tapping of all standard roll taps. Metric/wire and inch. You may like it once you make it to X7. Enjoy, and thanks for the help.

The goal is aesthetics. Each tap has 3 ops, drill, chamf/spot and tap. It is much easier to search for what you are seeking if they are organized in toolpath groups, just like the operation manager. Example, take my file and search for the 10mm tap ops after all ops have been exported to an ".operation" file. Which is easier? Time=money.

No complaints here on library organization. I have mine the same way.

You could just save your .MCX-7 file as .OPERATIONS-7. That'll keep all the group names.

I was curious how you use these operations since you said that you need the geometry. Don’t your models/wireframe have the holes in them that can be used? That’s the part of your process that I was questioning.

post-2305-0-91325700-1401362887_thumb.png

• Like 1

Thank you. That is a good suggestion. When I am building fixtures it is very handy to just import the correct geometry and place it where I want, rather than have to redraw for every drill and tap. I may not use it on customer solids, but I do use it for stuff that I create.

Thanks again

• 1 year later...

Are you aware that you can Import Operations and Operation Groups, directly from a Mastercam Part file? No need to do the intermediate step of "exporting" to a .Operations File, unless you want to.

When you Right-Click in the Ops Manager and Choose "Import", just change the File Type to "Mastercam X Files" in the drop down file type list.

While you can't Import a "Machine Group", you can import a "Toolpath Group", and the operations underneath it. You can also choose to Import the Geometry, and "assign current tool and construction planes".

So you should be able to start by setting the current "Planes" setting, Import existing Ops, then choose the "Operation origin point". That should bring in the Operations, the Operations Group, the correct Geometry (put where you told it to put it), and assign those operations to the current Planes setting.